Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob3
Contributor II
Message 11 of 43

Re: Alert viewer not responding

Jump to solution
I see you pushed out an update today. However, the problem still exists: I run my firewall under Traffic Controller / Monitored Access, and the problem is still here. And no, uninstalling/reinstalling isn't acceptable - I run multiple machines, and to try that (especially with no guarantee of it fixing the problem) would be a waste of my time.
_j_
Contributor II
Message 12 of 43

Jump to solution

Bob3,

I know how feel with dealing with McAfee issues on multiple machines.  I don't know whether it was because the other machines have configurations that aren't problematic or the fact that the other Windows machines are used less frequently and missed an update, but I have been lucky to only have one machine to update.  Curious, have you have found a way to mitigate the issue without reboot?  I had to reboot each time.  If you are continuing with McAfee on your machine, you might find less time loss reinstalling.  If you find time you could maybe try one machine and see how it goes on that one.

Venkat_YM
Message 13 of 43

Jump to solution

Hi @_j_ ,

Greetings from McAfee.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Since, Un-installing and re-installing or changing the firewall settings is temporary solution. We have received  few responses from users that issue getting resolved by doing above steps. However, McAfee aware of this issue and working towards for the permanent solution. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Venkat

ormedic
Contributor II
Message 14 of 43

Jump to solution

I have been having the same problem and tried resolving it with the support chat app but the customer service agent I spoke to appeared clueless in both familiarity with basic features of the McAfee program such as the alert viewer popup and was not able to resolve my problem.  I consider this an important feature of the program as I want to control what is allowed and not allowed but cannot use this because McAfee seems unable to repair this problem or give a solution for it.  I am extremely frustrated by this and will be considering a different security program in the future, unfortunately I just renewed with McAfee so it will be a while before I can do so.  In the meantime I am stuck with a program that cannot seem to fix this basic feature of the program.  McAfee needs to address this problem.

Maverik
Contributor II
Message 15 of 43

Jump to solution

This appears to have been caused by a Windows 10 or McAfee update which does not fully integrate through their update process on current installs, which then causes McAfee Chromium Delegate to suck more and more memory as the Alert Viewer is stuck on either a white window or a garbled text display.  The longer the computer is on, the more memory is used until it grounds almost to a halt, depending on your core memory capacity, so action is needed swiftly when the computer is switched on. If task manager is viewed, the memory drain can be seen climbing up the longer the computer is on. I had this on two computers and solved it as follows.

Restart your computer and as quick as possible log in to your mcafee account and locate your subscription and download the software again. This is an installation file which runs the installation for you. If by the time the installation file is downloaded, your computer has slowed down too much, then restart the computer, locate the installation file in file explorer : downloads and double click the installation file. It may take some time as whilst the installation is taking place, the computer will slow as the bug drains memory. If you cannot access the internet as a result of the problem then either disable the firewall or go into safe mode and uninstall McAfee via control panel : progams before then downloading the install file.

This worked on both computers and the problem did not reoccur. This issue raises a question around the current stability of the McAfee product in a windows environment. Will look forward to seeing official comment from McAfee.

MartinJBlank
Contributor II
Message 16 of 43

Jump to solution

A reinstall of McAfee appears to have fixed the problem, although the uninstall took over an hour because the PC was running so slowly as a consequence of the McAfee problem. 

Thanks

ormedic
Contributor II
Message 17 of 43

Jump to solution

Thank you for the suggestion.  For now it appears to work.  

I wish the McAfee customer service rep had been half this helpful and knowledgeable.

nmagesh16
Contributor
Message 18 of 43

Jump to solution

I tried reinstalling but issue persist

ormedic
Contributor II
Message 19 of 43

Jump to solution

Well, reinstalling worked for a couple days until a new update was installing now I am right back where I started from.  McAfee PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE

MartinJBlank
Contributor II
Message 20 of 43

Jump to solution

Sadly, two days later and the issue is back again. 

I’m really surprised that McAfee is taking so long to sort this issue out… not good. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community