cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is McSvHost.exe a resource hog?

This process is running for over four (4) hours, taking 50% of my CPU resources.  I used Virtual Tech which said no problems.  I have XP Pro SP3, updated, 2GB RAM, and not that much going on.

I tried LIVE CHAT, downloaded GoToAssist, but when wait for help was over, it wouldn't let me type any reply.

I am so frustrated!  Why is this McAfee process unending and such a hog?  Please help.

6 Replies

Re: why is McSvHost.exe a resource hog?

If the GotoAssist pages weren't working properly, try another browser.   If you don't already have it , try using IE8 which may work better that IE6 or 7.

The resource use does sound high so you might want to check for infection.  Try Stinger and Malwarebytes Free from the last link in my signature below.

Tried another Live Chat yesterday.  Worked OK.

Re McSvHost.exe running constantly @ 50% resources:  no virus or other malware --

IT WAS MCAFEE'S AUTO UPDATE on 12-12-2012 that was buggy!!!  Had to go to Thailand to resolve this with a McAfee patch: Mcscriptfix did the trick.

Why does McAfee publish buggy updates and then not send auto corrections?????  Ruined my Xmas Eve.

UPDATE:

SOLVED this with help from Live Chat -- Thahir Mohamed in Thailand -- who installed a McAfee patch mcscriptfix which returned McSvHost.exe to normal.  Absolutely no excuse for McAfee to send out automatic updates (12-12-2012) which are buggy and need to be fixed the hard way -- by customers living with problems until they are unbearable and in desperation turn to the Website for help.

Auto updates should be fixed the same way they are installed -- automatically.

Glad it's fixed.  They do fix any bugs to come to light, but it all takes time, as we see.

I have received several "Buggy" updates from McAfee that shut down my realtime protection, showed a white screen and prevented me from getting on the internet. Always had to restore computer to pre-update to resolve issue. Finally had enough and uninstalled. It was free from my IP (the whole suite), but not worth the headaches. McAfee has a track record of messing up computers with their updates. Until they can resolve this permanently, I am staying away. Too bad, because I liked it. Using something else for now.

Merry Christmas.

markiebeau wrote:

I have received several "Buggy" updates from McAfee that shut down my realtime protection, showed a white screen and prevented me from getting on the internet. Always had to restore computer to pre-update to resolve issue. Finally had enough and uninstalled. It was free from my IP (the whole suite), but not worth the headaches. McAfee has a track record of messing up computers with their updates. Until they can resolve this permanently, I am staying away. Too bad, because I liked it. Using something else for now.

Merry Christmas.

Well good luck. I read the other software forums and find they have almost identical issues from time to time.  Nobody is perfect I guess.

All the best ;)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community