Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pudding
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Unable to complete McAfee scan

Hi, I have zero tech knowledge & am hoping someone can help with our old Dell Laptop. We have resorted to using this as our Acer which was less than 2 years old died! Won't boot up, but that's a separate issue.

The Dell is running very slow, when it runs at all. Volume has disappeared, screen saver changes back to webshots when I tried to change it to a simgle image in the hope that that might speed things up. Web pages appear that I haven't asked for. We have tried to run scans but they either stop with an error or crash out into a blue screen with errors, one said something about kendal?! The kids use facebook which I suspect is the cause of the Trojans that McAfee has found on my son's Ergo PC. This had a similiar problem and the scan completed a deleted 18 trojans something about generic host win32?!

I have just run another scan, which took over 5 hours, as it was having problems again and McAfee deleted 5 Trojans called Hiloti.gen.p. I suspect that the Dell has the same Trojans as the Ergo but as the scans won't complete I can get rid of them..

How do I cure the Dell & prevent these problems returning again & again?

How do they get through in the first place when the PC's have McAfee installed?

I'm starting to wonder if the Acer problem is a virus rather than a hardware problem but as it won't boot up at all there is no way of knowing. My husband has sent it of somewhere to be checked out.

I have looked at many forums & many solutions are offered for viruses/trojans, GetSusp,FileAssasin, Malwarebytes and Stinger. I very suspicious of downloading anything, how do I know they are safe & legit. I could be downloading even more problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Pudding.

1 Reply
Dinz
Level 16
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Unable to complete McAfee scan

Hi pudding,

McAfee's Virus Research team is constantly updating its library of 'known' viruses and spyware.  At the core of McAfee software is something called 'heuristic' protection...which looks for suspect behavior by any program or file.  Even so, the constantly-changing nature of viruses and their different variants makes 100% security impossibility, with any anti-virus software. Please use this document : Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting that would help you run an advanced scan in your computer and post that we could determine if its really a virus issue or a hardware probelem that has put your pc in this situation.

http://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

Regards,

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community