cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstalling issues

Hello,

Ok, so let met explain my problem.

I am running McAfee on Windows 7 Home Edition 32 bits

Today, I had to shut down my computer while McAfee was updating. Windows asked me if I wanted to wait for the program to finish the installation, and using the arrows, and not the mouse, I accidentally chose "Finish program", so the update didn't work obviously. When I restarted the computer, Windows told me McAfee was running. When I opened McAfee, it was just a blank screen. After looking on the forums here, I found that I had better reinstall the program.

Since I couldn't uninstall from the WIndows Remover, I downloaded the McAfee Removal tool. Worked without problem. When I tried to reinstall, here is what I see. A McAfee window, with just header saying McAfee. And it doesn't work, until a box appears telling me that the program can't install, and asks me to click OK to get the installation starts back from where it stopped. I clicked OK, and it didn't work.

So I downloaded the Virtual Technician Tool. Same problem. I have the window appearing, with the VTI header, but the box itself is just blank. And nothing moves.

I finally decided to download the McAfee Preinstall tool. Worked too, but that still didn't help.

I also upgraded JavaScript, made it run throught CMD as an administrator. Still nothing.

Could you help me?

3 Replies
Mohan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Reinstalling issues

Hi Kakeru,

Please try the below steps and let me know if that works.

1) Run MCPR once again and restart the machine.

2) Clear the windows temp and user temp files.

3)Open command prompt and type the below commands.(run CMD as Administrator)

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 Jscript9.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

4)Delete the temp and cookies on IE by going to internet options.

5) Retry the install.

Hey, thank you for the advice.

I actually just tried something else: going back to IE 8. It seems that the installer got some problem with IE9.

I downgraded to 8, and everything is now back to normal.

Hope that will help.

Mohan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

Hi Kakeru,

I suspected that and thats why i sugested to re-register Jscript 9.dll which belongs to IE 9.

Glad to know that your issue is fixed.

Regards,

Mohan B

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community