Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pat3727
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 21

Re: No. of licensed copies authorized.

Well Peter, someone did hear.  Wether it will translate into a solution is yet to be seen.

And I appreciate that somebody really is listening.

Regards,  Pat

Good luck ;)

pat3727
Level 7
Message 13 of 21

Dinesh K:

Sorry to say, I was never given a ticket number.  I suspect that since the software seems to be functioning as it should, there may have been no need to develop an incident item.

This is an issue of not being able to deactivate a licence in the Cox/McAfee Security Suite.  My current account shows me using more "licenses" than I am actually using because I can't "remove" a computer from the Cox/McAfee  list  (the same computer seems to have 2 different IP addresses) or remove a "license" that is inactive.

Another possibiilthy may be that McAfee is not properly recognizing a "prepaid" subscription direct from McAfee (via Dell) and the Cox/McAfee licences.

Regards,  Pat

tromine
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 14 of 21

Pat,

Sorry it's taken so long but I've just come upon this thread.  I am contacting our Product Manager in charge of the Cox version of McAfee, and will attempt to get you a solution.

By any chance have you solved this yet?  If so, what did you have to do to deactivate some of your licenses?

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software

Hi Pat,

I found your subscription(s) in our systems. I am not sure which computer you are having issues with. Could you confirm the name of the computer? I see three different computers spread throughout your accounts (one using the email registered here, and one that starts with 6.).

One computer name starts with I and shows up (twice) under the Dell subscription which expires in 2013. One of them synced today so I am thinking this may be the one which was reformatted.

One computer name starts with S and shows up under the Cox subscription and got an update on 7/6/2012

One computer name starts with P and shows up under the Cox subscription, but looks like it hasn't synced since March.

If you don't want to announce it publicly you can send it to me via private message. I think using the first letter is a safe alternative.

Once I narrow down the machine and account you are using I can correct the licensing issue for you from our tool.

Regards,

pat3727
Level 7
Message 16 of 21

Tracy:

Thanks for your inquiry.  Nothing has been resolved.  Frankly, your note is the first in several weeks of inactivity.  Stay tuned however.  Something may happen.

Regards,  Pat

pat3727
Level 7
Message 17 of 21

Doug:

I appreciate your inquiry very much and hope a solution can be found for me and other's facing the same difficulty.  Despite the fact that there is "no charge" for the Cox/McAfee Security Suite for Cox customers, I'm sure that cost is included in my monthly Cox "Internet" charges.

I have 2 active computers.  One computer does not show up on the Cox/McAfee account because it is a "pre-paid" account.  I purchased a new Dell computer and the McAfee Suite was part of the package.  When this subscription expires (about a year from now) I would like to convert this to a Cox/McAfee license.

Now to the more specific Cox/McAfee licenses.  There are 3 listed:  The Pen... computer is currently dead (non-functioning).  The new Dell was purchased to replace this older XP machine.  If I am able to resurrect this old XP machine I would like to reinstall Cox/McAfee.  When this XP computer died, there was no way to "deactivate" that license, and no way to do so now.

There are 2 listings for Stu...... this is only one computer, and yes, this machine has had several "reformat & reinstalls" in the last month or so.  The reason was to clear up some software issues (not viruses, or other infections).  Again, I attempted to "uninstall" McAfee before these major reformats, but somehow the account shows 3 licenses being used when only one is active.

Aside from wanting to correct my account status, Cox customers should have some way to "manage" their account in the same way "paid" McAfee customers do.  Also, when there is a catastrophic failure, which may not permit a deactivation, we need to have some way to correct our account.  I hope you can help.  Thanks again.

Regards,  Pat

Hi Pat,

As far as giving the Cox customers the ability to manage their licenses, I can enter a Feature Request to the Product Managment team. I can tell you however, that we have already suggested this and are currently pushing to allow any McAfee customer the ability to deactivate or reactivate their licenses.

Do you want me to sort out the issues you are having? I can deactivate licenses from our tool.

Thanks,

Doug

pat3727
Level 7
Message 19 of 21

Doug:

I appreciate your efforts and thanks.  Yes I would like your assistance in sorting out my particular account status.  That would best be done via private email, but I don't know how to contact you privately to provide any detail you may require.

To add to the complexity of my situation, about 6 weeks ago, I had to replace my cable router (not modem) with a Linksys EA2700.  Several "hard resets" have been necessary and I think those resets also change the MAC address seen by Cox and McAfee.  Another difficulty in identifying specific computers?

I mentioned "catastrophic failure".  What happens if the primary boot drive and power supply fail on a computer.  There is no way to deactivate that license, neither for the regular McAfee customer or the Cox/McAfee customer.  When the computer is repaired, how do I reinstall and reactivate a license?  This is the case with the XP machine I mentioned earlier in one of my posts.

McAfee has to be able to indentify customers/accounts/computers to be sure that they are paid for the services they provide.  Customers should be able to deactivate a license for computer A and install the Security Suite move the license to computer C, and deactiveate the license for computer B temporarily.  Perhaps the customer could, with secure logon and password protection, log on to their account, from any computer, to "manage" their licensed account, difficulties like these could be handled more easily.

Regards,  Pat

k3tg
Level 14
Message 20 of 21

To send Doug an email click on his picture or avatar and it will take you to a screen that has his profile. Look to the right of the screen and there is a link that says Send Private Message

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community