cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpinfl
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

McAfee will not install, tried everything! Please Help!

Jump to solution

Hello!  I recently renewed my McAfee service and upon attempting to re-install from the website, have had a long unsuccessful battle trying to complete installation.  I have tried everything listed on this site and others.  After installation I receive the following message: "We couldn't install any of the security features included with your software".  After running the virtual technician, I receive the following message: "Problem: Product update required".  I am running Windows XP Professional and Internet Explorer 8.  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jpinfl
Level 8
Message 4 of 7

Re: McAfee will not install, tried everything! Please Help!

Jump to solution

Thank you to both of you for replying.  I had to restore windows to an earlier date.  It appears that something from an I-tunes update caused malfunctions with some scripts and registry files.  Also,  the browserpathfix was helpful in solving the remaining issues.  After starting on this 7 hours ago, I am very thankful for all of the posts from this site.  I used each to diagnose and troubleshoot.  Thanks again!

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Jump to solution

Is this XP SP3 and fully updated?   From what you said I assume it was previously installed.  Did you have any other security software installed in the meanwhile if so remove it and use any appropriate removal tool?

If only McAfee then make sure any old version is uninstalled first via Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot.

Run the McAfee Preinstall Tool from here: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Then try the installer from the online account again.

karthiks
Level 12
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Jpinfl,

I need logs to find out the cause of the issue, please proceed with Peter’s steps and check you are able to complete the installation. If issue persists, follow the below instructions and check the log exists.

Enable the hidden files & folders using the below link

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_fcab_show_file_ex...

Go to the location C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\mcafee\Mclogs

Get the MFEhidin.log

If there is no MFEhidin.log, get the names of the text docs which will be under McInst folder

jpinfl
Level 8
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Thank you to both of you for replying.  I had to restore windows to an earlier date.  It appears that something from an I-tunes update caused malfunctions with some scripts and registry files.  Also,  the browserpathfix was helpful in solving the remaining issues.  After starting on this 7 hours ago, I am very thankful for all of the posts from this site.  I used each to diagnose and troubleshoot.  Thanks again!

View solution in original post

karthiks
Level 12
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

It’s my pleasure, post back if you have any issues

Jump to solution

Glad you are OK.  Happy New Year.

Jump to solution

By the way you have a good point re: iTunes....I've been having various strange occurrences lately since iTunes updated to 11.01.12 but mostly regarding USB drivers suddenly reinstalling themselves.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/01/13 4:49:39 EST PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community