Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dinz
Former Member
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 17

Re: How to tell McAfee about a bug?

Hi there,

Could you please provide me with the version details of your McAfee programs installed so that I can update our back end team and check out if there something that might cause this error;

McAfee Security Center  Version

Aff id :

Virus scan

Version :

Operating system : You have mentioned XP – Is it Professional or Media Center

Default browser.

Thanks,

w5dxp
Former Member
Message 12 of 17

I am running McAfee Total Protection v 11.0, Build 11.0.654, affid 0

Virus v 15.0, build 15.0.294

XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 with automatic updates.

Default browser: Firefox 10.0.2

In my Program Files folder I have these folder names: McAfee, McAfee on line backup, McAfee.com, McAfee security scan, McAfee MOBK

An unwanted McAfee Security Scan Plus was also apparently downloaded with a JAVA update. Could there be some interaction between the two pieces of McAfee software? Should I unstall McAfee Security Scan Plus according to the following?

Thanks,

email removed for your security

Uninstall McAfee Security Scan Plus

Starting last month, Oracle began bundling a security scanning tool called the McAfee Security Scan Plus with its Java updates for the Windows operating system. The software is installed by default with the Java update, so unless you uncheck the McAfee installation box as you’re updating Java, you’ll end up downloading McAfee’s software too.

Once downloaded, the McAfee software prompts the user on a daily basis to accept McAfee’s licensing terms to complete the installation. Sounds like crapware to me! Course if you don’t have any antivirus, “McAfee believes it’s better to be protected than unprotected.”

If you have another antivirus and accidently downloaded McAfee, here’s how to uninstall it:

Message was edited by: w5dxp on 3/3/12 10:06:59 AM CST

Message was edited by: w5dxp on 3/3/12 10:53:42 AM CST

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/03/12 12:13:07 EST PM

Yes uninstall McAfee Security Scan Plus via Control  Panel > Add or Remove programs.  It is totally unnecessary if you already have protection software as all it does is tell you what youj need after a cursory scan.

By the way I trust that is XP SP3?

I removed your email address from your post as that's a security risk for you and there's no need to ever post that kind of personal info in public.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/03/12 12:15:37 EST PM
w5dxp
Former Member
Message 14 of 17

Yes, Service Pack 3. The problem still exists. Here is a GIF file graphic of the error. Looks like the objection is to a null string.

Message was edited by: w5dxp on 3/3/12 12:37:24 PM CST

Message was edited by: w5dxp on 3/3/12 12:41:33 PM CST

Good, regarding the error I'm not sure if that's caused by the Sec. Scan Plus or not, did you uninstall it?

It could also be caused by a missing or corrupted update from Microsoft Updates which you should check.

Your best bet now is to open a case with Technical Support linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

It's free by phone or online chat.

pekotronico
Former Member
Message 16 of 17

I have the same error as reported by w5dxp . I could manage to fix it by unninstalling and reinstalling the whole package of McAfee a few months ago, but now the error appeared again. I did the same action yesterday> unninstall and reinstall the package, but the script error still appearing as soon as I open a program, or every 1 hour approx.

Have someone the solution for this error script?

Best Regards

Juan

Make sure your system is totally up to date in all aspects, especially browsers, Intenret Explorer included.

Other than that all I can suggest is contact Technical Support for troubleshooting the issue.  It's free of charge and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community