Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
w5dxp
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 17

How to tell McAfee about a bug?

I keep getting this same annoying error message. How does one go about getting something done about it?

[1776]C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\MSC\McUICnt.exe

Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Type mismatch: 'CDbl'

Dim mscAppVersion

mscAppVersion = CDbl(m_strAppVersion)

If mscAppVersion >= 11 Then

--

thanks, Cecil

16 Replies
k3tg
Level 14
Message 2 of 17

Re: How to tell McAfee about a bug?

You might want to try to run the McAfee Virtual Technician found in the Technical Support link at the top of this page under Useful Links. MVT will scan your computer for any McAfee related issue and if it finds any it will attempt to resolve them for you. When MVT concludes you would be prompted to contact Technical Support Chat who could remote connect into your computer to see if they find any programs or processs that might be conflicting that is causing this error you are receiving.

Before you contact chat I would first run the MVT to see what it reports to you. If it reports that McAfee is working ok with your computer, then I would suggest you post some info about your computer such as operating system, service pack, browser information, ram, etc. This way we could gather some facts to assist you further in troubleshooting.

As it is still the weekend, McAfee personell are not likely to see this till Monday.

Dinz
Level 16
Message 3 of 17

Hi w5xdp,

Could you please check if you have any different virus scanners or security software in your add/remove programs  (Click on Uninstall if found)

Navigate through C:\program files & C:\program files\common files – Delete if you have any folder for a different security software viz (Norton/spybot /any other . .)

Open Internet explorer – Click on the tab Help – Click on About Internet explorer – Let us know the version and cipher strength from here

Open McAfee security center – Click On Navigation – Click on About – Let us know the version of McAfe Virus scan and DAT version

If possible could you please attach a screen shot of your error message .

Regards,

I'm getting these same errors; this with regular weekly updates and the latest versions of the software. My subscription is up for renewal, but McAfee has been unstable for over a year now and I'm done.

flogger
Level 7
Message 5 of 17

Hi. When do you see that error message? Is it when you try to open a certain program? If this appears when using IE, try updating it.

This is just an extra step that I suggest if the above options won't work.

w5dxp
Level 7
Message 6 of 17

The error occurs when McAfee SW is running a script under XP. All it would take to correct is to change the null "" declaration to something real..

Is this XP SP3 and fully updated with all optional updates?   Is the error a popup or a browser error or just something displayed in the Event Viewer?

Have you been running any registry cleaners and/or optimizers lately, if so do they have a restore button?

I don't understand the following statement as McAfee doesn't run scripts as far as I know:

The error occurs when McAfee SW is running a script under XP.

What McAfee software exactly is this?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/02/12 11:19:40 EST AM
w5dxp
Level 7
Message 8 of 17

Here is the program causing the error:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\MSC\McUICnt.exe

Here is the error in that program:

Set m_strDaysAfterInstall = ""

Why can't McAffee fix that problem by assigning something other than a null to that variable?

I have no idea what this is about as I've never encountered it but a Google Search tells me that others have reported it and not necessarily with McAfee.  Is XP up to date, i.e. SP3 and fully updated and what version of McAfee software?

You need to open a case with Technical Support - it's a free phone call or you can use online chat.  The original poster never got back to us last June in this thread, so the issue died until resurrected on the 17th.

They are linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

w5dxp
Level 7
Message 10 of 17

I am the original poster. What is so hard to understand about "" not being an integer? (Retired from Intel in 1998).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community