Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leonw
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

How to continue AntiVirus Plus from a new account

I've donated my PC to my daughter. License for AV+ expired 2 days ago. She purchased a new AV+ directly from McAfee, obviously with different account details (name / payment method / email no longer match those of the earlier purchases).

Install file was downloaded, but it refuses to run ! It (McAfee Integrated Security Platform Installer ) aborts with Win7 message that this MISPI stopped working.

Also the existing AV+ seems to have been disabled: everything is blanked out ! Not even the settings can be seen! The only message very prominently visisble is that the subscription expired 1 day ago.

1) How can we revive VP+ with her paid for version / from her account? Preferably with continuation of our carefully tweaked settings?

2) If old version needs to be uninstalled? How to do this?

3) Is there any way to retrieve the settings of the current installation? Making these visible is the least we need, if they cannot be re-used / imported.

Thanks for any help

Leon

PS: screenprint of Win7 message is attached.

5 Replies

Re: How to continue AntiVirus Plus from a new account

Go to Control Panel, then open Add or Remove Programs and check if you have MSXML 3 installed.

if it's not there please download and install it via the link below: simply download and install the file named msxml3.msi.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674 -f752bdca9582&displ...

after  installing it... run the McAfee removal tool, reboot and reinstall the software from your online account ... post back if it resolves your issue... hope this  helps...

That might get it working BUT once the settings are greyed out I feel you need to uninstall Mcfee via

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Then install your daughters new software.

Really if you want to keep the settings best to contact support Customer service

http://service.mcafee.com/CustomerService.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1

They might know of a way.

leonw
Level 7
Message 3 of 6

Tony Thanks

You're right: I no longer have MSXML3 installed; only MSXML4  is listed in 'Programs and Features' (as good old (and simple) Add/Remove Programs is called nowadays)

I managed to remove McAfee, but -- as settings are lost anyway -- decided to try a different AV. I can't imagine that all vendors are as harsh as McAfee in only allowing renewals from the same account and going as far as to hiding the settings. . . . .

Thanks for the help anyhow. Really appreciated

Leon

It still is protecting but as it is a subscription account the program becomes non editable. say if you have a TV cable subscription and it expired what would happn a blank screen.

my and the other mod's and my suggestions were not taken up.

As I said customer support Might have known a way to keep the setting and transfer licences but sorry I did not.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/03/12 1:46:50 PM
leonw
Level 7
Message 5 of 6

> say if you have a TV cable subscription and it expired what would happn a blank screen.

Wrong analogy. McAfee made it impossible to continue for an administrative reason and, as a consequence decided to cripple a running, well tuned AV installation. I wasn't prepared to fight the user interface again to get it working from scratch.

I don't mind that a program looses funtionality when subsription expires.But the settings are *mine*; not McAfees. A possibility to retrieve (or show) my settings would recognize this. And, coming to think about it, a feature to replicate settings between machinese would seem a logical for a product that is positioned to manage multiple  computers in a household.

In the mean time we have another AV (F-Secure) installed on all our computers. Was pleasantly surprised that it was able to automatically remove AV+ all by itself while it installed itself. No need to uninstall and also no need to  run additional clean-up programs.

Thanks anyway for your suggestions and comments..

Cheers

Leon

Ok will pass on your thoughts

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community