cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting pop-up to activate subscription and can't activate

Jump to solution

I've had McAfee for over a year now. Starting today, I'm getting messages on my laptop that "Your computer is at risk! Activate your sfortware."

I tried clicking on the activate button but nothing happened. In safe mode, I downloaded, installed and ran Malwarebytes, and it didn't find anything. Thoughts?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Getting pop-up to activate subscription and can't activate

Jump to solution

Hi neptune42,

Have you tried searching for any troubleshooting tips on the McAfee web site? Would you feel comfortable having a chat session with contacting McAfee's Technical Support? Or, contacting McAfee via email for instructions?

I assume you don't have the links, since your software is asking for activation, so I've posted the link to the McAfee support page here:

http://home.mcafee.com/root/support.aspx?cid=71446&lang=en-us&lcid=1033&langid=1&culture=en-US&rcode...

Once you've reached the above support page, make sure you have the correct country (there is a little place on the top of the page that might say 'United States', just click on that and then find your country in the drop down menu and click on it).  After the page has loaded with your correct country entered, just click on the grey tab in the upper region of the web page labelled 'Support'. This tab should be located beneath your country's name. This should bring you to the appropriate web page that will offer you further help.

Once you've reached the http://service.mcafee.com/ page called Services and Support for Home and Office, click on the 'Go to Technical Support' link which is mid-way down and on the left-hand side of the web page. This will take you to another McAfee page that will offer you two choices; 1) PC and Mac Security, or, 2) Mobile Security. Please click on the 'Start' link that is just below the PC and Mac Security list . This will take you to another McAfee support page.

Once you have reached this support page, you will be offered a few different types of help. This is where you can decide which type of help and support you'd would like. You might want to try the 'FAQs and Search' option first. Or, perhaps you might prefer to try the 'Live Chat' option for a chat session with a McAfee support representative.

Just so you are aware, when you click on the link leading to the 'Live Chat' you will have a dialogue box pop up on your screen that says "Run McAfee Virtual Technician". It is up to you as to whether you'd like to run this McAfee tool, or not. If you choose not to run this McAfee tool, just click on the 'Close Window' in the dialogue box. You can then proceed to click on the 'Start'  link and that will begin the chat session process. Just follow the instructions and good luck!

By the way, since I don't know what your computer experience is, so rather than assume you're a wizard, I've written the instructions as I would for my sister.

Hope it was helpful.

Take good care of you,

Erin

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi neptune42,

Have you tried searching for any troubleshooting tips on the McAfee web site? Would you feel comfortable having a chat session with contacting McAfee's Technical Support? Or, contacting McAfee via email for instructions?

I assume you don't have the links, since your software is asking for activation, so I've posted the link to the McAfee support page here:

http://home.mcafee.com/root/support.aspx?cid=71446&lang=en-us&lcid=1033&langid=1&culture=en-US&rcode...

Once you've reached the above support page, make sure you have the correct country (there is a little place on the top of the page that might say 'United States', just click on that and then find your country in the drop down menu and click on it).  After the page has loaded with your correct country entered, just click on the grey tab in the upper region of the web page labelled 'Support'. This tab should be located beneath your country's name. This should bring you to the appropriate web page that will offer you further help.

Once you've reached the http://service.mcafee.com/ page called Services and Support for Home and Office, click on the 'Go to Technical Support' link which is mid-way down and on the left-hand side of the web page. This will take you to another McAfee page that will offer you two choices; 1) PC and Mac Security, or, 2) Mobile Security. Please click on the 'Start' link that is just below the PC and Mac Security list . This will take you to another McAfee support page.

Once you have reached this support page, you will be offered a few different types of help. This is where you can decide which type of help and support you'd would like. You might want to try the 'FAQs and Search' option first. Or, perhaps you might prefer to try the 'Live Chat' option for a chat session with a McAfee support representative.

Just so you are aware, when you click on the link leading to the 'Live Chat' you will have a dialogue box pop up on your screen that says "Run McAfee Virtual Technician". It is up to you as to whether you'd like to run this McAfee tool, or not. If you choose not to run this McAfee tool, just click on the 'Close Window' in the dialogue box. You can then proceed to click on the 'Start'  link and that will begin the chat session process. Just follow the instructions and good luck!

By the way, since I don't know what your computer experience is, so rather than assume you're a wizard, I've written the instructions as I would for my sister.

Hope it was helpful.

Take good care of you,

Erin

Jump to solution

Yes support best place for these activation issues. Did you have greater than 1 year licence? Tou mentioned you have had Mcafee for longer than a year wondering if it thinks you need to renew.

Jump to solution

Thanks everyone. I ended up chatting with a live agent. There appeared to be something wrong with my DAT file - I had to uninstall and reinstall McAfee, but it's working now with no more error messages.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the answer.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community