cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katie88
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 19

Getting Windows script host error mgs after McAfee blocked Windows Scripting Host (wscript.exe

Jump to solution

I was bit by the Palladium virus and after running Mcafee scan and a registry cleaner I think it is gone.

But, at the time of the scan, Mcafee also blocked  Windows Scripting Host with this message:

File Information

File Name:     wscript.exe
File Size:     155648
File Path:     C:\WINDOWS\system32\
Version:     5.7
First seen:     7/1/2008
This program may have known vulnerabilities.

Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

Notes:
This program may be vulnerable to security attacks.

Since then I continually get pop ups (about every 15 minutes or so) The message is usually the same regarding the system error and

code but the application data is always different.

Is the blocked wscript.exe the reason I am getting these pop up error messages?

below is a sample error message.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

391_error3.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
trini123
Level 8
Message 6 of 19

Re: Getting Windows script host error mgs after McAfee blocked Windows Scripting Host (wscript.exe

Jump to solution

I was having this exact same problem but I think that I was finally able to resolve the issue.

What is causing the issue is a .js file that is being executed when your computer starts up.

There are  a few steps to solve the issue

1. The file that is being executed is named Startup.js and it is located at C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Startup.js. Delete this file!!

2. Then click on Start-> Run and type: msconfig to run the System Configuration Utility

3. Click on the "Startup" tab and look for the Startup Item named "Startup". You will see that it points to this Startup.js file. Uncheck the checkbox. If you do not see "Startup" look for a Startup Item that has a command that points to C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Startup.js and uncheck it

4. There was also a second "Startup" Startup Item that pointed to C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Startup.js. Uncheck this item.

5.Click "Apply" and then "Ok".

6. Reboot the computer

Hopefully this gets rid of the issue for you. It worked for me! This was a really annoying bug that wasted a lot of my time researching how to fix it. I came across this post but there was no solution to the problem. So when I found a solution on my own, I wanted to help others that were having the same problem.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Katie88
Level 7
Message 2 of 19

Re: Getting Windows script host error mgs after McAfee blocked Windows Scripting Host (wscript.exe

Jump to solution

Is this forum monitored daily?

I don't want to appear impatient but these pop up error messages are rather annoying

and, hopefully not an indication of a serious problem.

Message was edited by: Katie88 on 2/10/11 11:18:06 AM CST
Dinz
Level 16
Message 3 of 19

Jump to solution

Hi Katie

Sorry for the delayed response, could you please provide some of the below information that would help us drill down this issue;

What is the operating system installed ?
Do you have / Did you previously have an other security software in the machine ?
Any recent changes that was done to the computer ; like a system restore ?

How old is the computer ?

Katie88
Level 7
Message 4 of 19

Jump to solution

Hello, thanks for the response.

I have a 4 yr old Dell Dimension

XP service pack 3

I've been using McAfee for about a year.

Before that I used AVG.

Yes, I did systom restore to remove the palladium icon from the computer.

I was afraid to click on it to even try to delete it.

McAfee found a trojan and quarrentined it.

At the same time, McAfee blocked wscript.exe (see my first post for

the details as to why) After that is when I started getting the

Window Host Script error pop ups so it seems logical that it might be related.

I've looked up wscript.exe and get conflicting info.

One place says:

It is a service used by Windows to allow execution of VBScript. It is
not necessarily dangerous, but if a dangerous script is downloaded it
will appear as if wscript.exe is the culprit, when it is really a
seperate script file (usually .vbs). You should not delete wscript.exe,
many Windows services require it and our computer may not function
properly if it cannot be found.

Where as other people say it could be used by lots of viruses to execute and replicate in your computer.

I'm confused which one to believe.

is it normal for McAfee to block this file?

Also, I've noticed that the error messages while showing different Application Data info, they all end with .js which

I think means Java Script?

Thank you for your help!

Message was edited by: Katie88 on 2/10/11 7:11:28 PM CST

Message was edited by: Katie88 on 2/10/11 7:33:44 PM CST
samanthar
Level 7
Message 5 of 19

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue.  McAffee quarantined a Trojan and then I started having the continuous popups that look very similar to the OP's.  It is very annoying and I really don't know if I should be concerned or not.  If I leave my computer for a few hours and come back, I wil have at least 20 of those windows open on my screen.  It seems to be related to McAffee, I believe.  When I looked at my Administrative events log, I noticed several warnings that only started in the past few days.  They all said:

Process **\MCSVHOST.EXE pid (1744) contains signed but untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a McAfee driver.

I have Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron 1545.  It came with McAfee.  I just bought this computer in September of last year.  I have not done a system restore.

Thank you.

trini123
Level 8
Message 6 of 19

Jump to solution

I was having this exact same problem but I think that I was finally able to resolve the issue.

What is causing the issue is a .js file that is being executed when your computer starts up.

There are  a few steps to solve the issue

1. The file that is being executed is named Startup.js and it is located at C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Startup.js. Delete this file!!

2. Then click on Start-> Run and type: msconfig to run the System Configuration Utility

3. Click on the "Startup" tab and look for the Startup Item named "Startup". You will see that it points to this Startup.js file. Uncheck the checkbox. If you do not see "Startup" look for a Startup Item that has a command that points to C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Startup.js and uncheck it

4. There was also a second "Startup" Startup Item that pointed to C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Startup.js. Uncheck this item.

6. Reboot the computer

Hopefully this gets rid of the issue for you. It worked for me! This was a really annoying bug that wasted a lot of my time researching how to fix it. I came across this post but there was no solution to the problem. So when I found a solution on my own, I wanted to help others that were having the same problem.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Thanks can the 2 posters above try that.

Where did this .js arrive from was it from an infection? Wondering if it also changed the registry?

trini123
Level 8
Message 8 of 19

Jump to solution

Yes. I believe that the .js file was from an infection. It may have been related to the Palladium Virus and remained behind after the virus was removed.

There were a couple of commands that the virus configured on startup to execute this file.

I am not sure if the registry was changed.

samanthar
Level 7
Message 9 of 19

Jump to solution

Thank you so much, Trini123!  I followed your instructions last night (with some deviations, because I've got Windows 7) and I had ZERO pop-ups this morning!

Here's what I did:

I was unable to find this file.  The error I was getting listed the Script as:  C:\Users\Samantha\AppData\Roaming\[various file names].js  I tried looking along that file path and even 

did a complete search of the C drive for the Startup.js file and couldn't find it.  So, I ended up skipping this step.

I went to Accessories-> Command Prompt, then typed in msconfig

Under the startup tab, I found a file called "Startup.js" which pointed to " C:\Users\Samantha\AppData\Roaming\Startup.js"  I unchecked this box.

I didn't have this second item.

6. Reboot the computer

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your solution.  I would have never thought of fixing it that way.  I spent a lot of time researching and trying to find a solution and I really appreciate you giving me one.  Do you think it will be an issue that I never deleted the actual file?  I've searched all over the computer, and can't seem to find it to delete it.  Again, thank you so much for your help.

s

Katie88
Level 7
Message 10 of 19

Jump to solution

I did not find it in the C documents either

But, I did find Startup under msonfig>startup.

But, when I unchecked it and clicked Apply, I get this msg:

"An Access Denied error has returned while attempting to change a service,

You may need to log in using an Administrator account to make the specified changes"

Dumb question, but how do I log into the administator account? 

ETA: I rebooted the computer and got this msg:

sys.jpg

Any idea of what this means and what should I do now?

Thank you for your help!

ETA: after rebooting, I looked and the startup is box is still checked

Message was edited by: Katie88 on 2/13/11 11:57:07 AM CST

Message was edited by: Katie88 on 2/13/11 12:17:48 PM CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community