Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
98jhbd66am
Former Member
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

FireFox won't open and cannot find server

I downloaded a newer version of Firefox.  Now, I am getting two error messages when I try to open Firefox.  1) Problem loading pages 2) Firefox cannot  find server.  I have worked with the Firefox folks and they think it has something to do with TP Firewall.  Can someone help me with this issue?

3 Replies

Re: FireFox won't open and cannot find server

Normally browsers would set their own firewall settings and you would at some stage see a popup asking if that's OK.   Didn't you see any?

This sort of thing can happen if you have the firewall settings changed from their defaults.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Web and Email Protection

Click Firewall

Click Internet Connections for Programs

Go down the list and look for Firefox and make sure its permission is at least Outgoing or Full

If it is missing then add firefox.exe from your programs list and give it that permission.

Hint:  You can sort that list alphabetically by clicking the word Programs or the small arrow above it.

98jhbd66am
Former Member
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

Ex_Brit,

First, no I didn't get a popup asking if that's OK.

I did go through the steps above and Firefox is Full and On.

I even have deleted and reinstalled firefox a couple of times just to see if there was a problem with the install.  I did this before I contacted either McAfee or Firefox.

Sorry

Then there must be something amiss with your Firefox settings, check there.   If you still can't find what's wrong I suggest contacting Technical Support online Chat via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community