cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating McAfee on 2nd PC doesn't work

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have recently purchased McAfee internet security 2011, for 3 PCs. Installation and validation worked perfectly on the 1st PC.

Now I'm trying to install it on a second. Installation works perfectly, but validation isn't working at all. My product code is being accepted, but logging in to my account to complete the validation doesn't work.

I have tried resetting my password and reïnstalling McAfee. Since my account works fine on the McAfee site, I don't think the problem is in my account.

Many thanks to all who are trying to help me.

Cheers

Message was edited by: HelgaGrevinga on 12/26/10 5:51:45 PM CST
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Activating McAfee on 2nd PC doesn't work

Jump to solution

Hi,

Since you said that you  already activated the McAfee in your first computer then probably you can try with our subscription repair tool on your second computer to activate your McAfee.

Step1 :

Enable the folder option :         

Windows 7

To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps. Please note a guide with images that shows the same steps can be found here:

How to show hidden files in Windows 7

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
  2. Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.
  3. Click on the Control Panel menu option.
  4. When the control panel opens you change it so you are using Category view.

1. Click on the Appearance and Personalization link .
    2. Under the Folder Options category, click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.
    3. Go to step 5.

5. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files, folders, or drives.
  6. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
  7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
  8. Press the Apply button and then the OK button..
  9. Now Windows 7 is configured to show all hidden files.

10. Once you enable the folder option go to STEP 2

Step 2:

Please click the below link and follow the instruction :

Subscription Repair Tool

on 12/27/10 9:26:09 AM CST

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Jump to solution

I think sometimes it takes time to catch up. Try again tomorrow and if no show  try a chat with customer service bods. Link in useful links tab above

Dinz
Level 16
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi helga,

Since you have successfully installed the programs to the first PC. Could you please let me know if you are still using the cd for the installation ??

Also , let me know some of the followind details;

What is the operating system ?
Do you have any other security software installed in the second PC?
Did you have any McAfee programs in this computer ?

Please attach a screen shot of the error message that you receive so that it would be helpful.

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Dinz,

I have tried installing it via the cd, and via the website. Both gave me the same error. The one currently installed is the one downloaded from the site.

My operating system is Windows 7 home premium. I recently cleared my entire computer and reïnstalled windows, so there is no program conflicting with McAfee.

I did not have McAfee on this computer before. The screenshot has been attached, although it's not much of an error message. (and yes I did put in the correct password/email)

Thanks for the swift help guys! I hope we can work this out.

Cheers

p.s. I tried validating again today, no success..

Message was edited by: HelgaGrevinga on 12/27/10 7:28:01 AM CST

Jump to solution

Hi,

Since you said that you  already activated the McAfee in your first computer then probably you can try with our subscription repair tool on your second computer to activate your McAfee.

Step1 :

Enable the folder option :         

Windows 7

To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps. Please note a guide with images that shows the same steps can be found here:

How to show hidden files in Windows 7

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
  2. Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.
  3. Click on the Control Panel menu option.
  4. When the control panel opens you change it so you are using Category view.

1. Click on the Appearance and Personalization link .
    2. Under the Folder Options category, click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.
    3. Go to step 5.

5. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files, folders, or drives.
  6. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
  7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
  8. Press the Apply button and then the OK button..
  9. Now Windows 7 is configured to show all hidden files.

10. Once you enable the folder option go to STEP 2

Step 2:

Please click the below link and follow the instruction :

Subscription Repair Tool

on 12/27/10 9:26:09 AM CST

Jump to solution

Hey

Prakash's solution worked! Thanks for all the help!

Helga

Message was edited by: HelgaGrevinga on 12/28/10 9:33:07 AM CST

Jump to solution

Hi Helga,

I am really happy that your problem is resolved and I hope you will not have any more issues in future .Advance Happy New Year

Jump to solution

I know this is an old thread but I am having a similar problem but with McAfee Total Protection 2012 3-User License. When I go to my account on McAfee.com, it confirms that the subscription is active for both computers. However, my parents computer is currently saying the Subscription has to be activated by a certain date. When I try to click activate, it does nothing.

Now I tried to use the subscription repair tool. I first tried renaming the files it asked me to do in the instructions, but I was given an 'access denied' message. I tried the repair tool anyways, and it seemed to work and I was able to update my parents computer's mcafee software (and yes I uninstalled their old mcafee products before I added the new program). However, once the update was installed, it again gave me a message to activate their subscription by a certain date and nothing happened when I tried to click activate.

Then I tried using McAfee Virtual Technician. It seemed to fix all but one 'COM' error. The issue with subscription is still there and I suspect next time I try to update again, it will once again tell me I can't update the product. The session ID for McAfee Virtual Technician is 37268866. My parents computer is a Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3 (Version 2002-but they bought their comp later). The computer is completely up to date for Windows Update.

Both computers have unique computer names, so there shouldn't be a conflict there. I'm not having any problems on my own system either.

Right now I'm waiting on the phone to see if i can get it resolved but no one is answering yet.

Message was edited by: vectorsigma on 1/19/12 4:55:37 PM CST

Message was edited by: vectorsigma on 1/19/12 4:56:27 PM CST

Message was edited by: vectorsigma on 1/19/12 4:57:37 PM CST

Jump to solution

It seems the telephone support was able to help me. We had to end up uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee. But now I am having to do the same for my own computer. I am not sure what happened, a file must have been corrupted or something, because now it's reverted back to the old subscription information that my parents had, instead of the subscription info for my latest version of my McAfee (even though I uninstalled the old version initially).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community