Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_164699
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

windows firewall on or off?

Hi All.

I will shortly be removing my mcafee totalprotection 2010 and replacing with 2011 version ( I will be doing this from a disk ) not very good with computers so hope i do it right!!

As I understand it i have to open control panel, go to Add/Remove programmes and uninstall Mcafee, then I have to run Mcafee removal tool to be sure all Mcafee is removed completly.

then I install new disc (2011) and follow on screen instructions, am I right so far?  My question is: when I am doing this do i have to turn windows firewall back on whilst the new macafee is successfully ( I hope) installed.

Many thanks for any help.

2 Replies
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: windows firewall on or off?

Hi Doug,

You can follow the below steps:

Remove the McAfee product from the Add/remove list.

Turn on the Windows Firewall

Run the McAfee product removal tool.

Then restart the computer and reinstall McAfee from logging into to your McAfee Account & need not worry about your windows Firewall, since McAfee has its own firewall on it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 3

Re: windows firewall on or off?

I've found in practice that Windows turns the firewall on automatically when McAfee is uninstalled but it certainly doesn't harm to check.  It certainly turns it off when installing and, in Windows 7, takes control of it completely.

The disk you have may be labelled 2011 but is in fact 2010 relabelled.  The actual 2011 versions will go out to all current subscribers, you inlcuded of course eventually, but thus far have only been released to the Australian and Indian servers.

That relabelling strategy has come under fire from us Moderators but apparently it's a marketing strategy employed by not just McAfee so we couldn't achieve anything I'm afraid.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/04/11 7:23:02 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community