cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davs_2013
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

window firewall, Antivirus and windows defender takes too long to load at start up..help please, thanks in advance.

Jump to solution

hello guys...im using mcafee antivirus 2013...and everytime i boot my computer the im getting an ACTION CENTER message with red cross with it, that i have to turn my AV, Firewall and windows defender...but after 4minutes(more or less)..it will just disappear..I DONT KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS DELAY..can anybody hel me here?...btw, im using mcafee for about more than a month...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
davs_2013
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Re: window firewall, Antivirus and windows defender takes too long to load at start up..help please, thanks in advance.

Jump to solution

finally, i haved fixed this start up issue by deleting the repository, even though i have to install other program to delete the repository but its all worthy...

View solution in original post

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: window firewall, Antivirus and windows defender takes too long to load at start up..help please, thanks in advance.

Jump to solution

What is your operating system and service pack (if applicable) please?

Normally when a 3rd party antivirus/firewall is installed such as McAfee, Windows Firewall and Windows Defender will be automatically disabled because they could cause problems.

You could re-enable Windows Defender if this is any system OTHER THAN WIndows 8,  In the latter WD contains antivirus and should not be enabled.

I am surprised about those entries in Action Center though.  Have you by any chance added shortcuts to thos applications to your Startup Programs folder?

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes anything:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/02/13 8:25:58 EST AM
davs_2013
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

I am using windows 8 64 bit, its a new one..bought it last december 202..its an asus k55vd..

Actually..before posting here, i already did everything i know and i could do..checking the disk, cleaning temporary file, defragmenting...uninstalling(mcafee removal tool) and reinstalling mcafee..i haved scanned for malware using mbam the free edition...i have checked my startup items..but still i cant solved it...and my mcafee says that i have the latest updates available.. i already used  MVT since i figured that mcafee have some problems.

Message was edited by: davs_2013 on 2/2/13 9:53:08 AM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

I'm not sure but I think the problem is that Windows Security isn't seeing McAfee properly.  In which you are better served contacting Technical Support directly for troubleshooting.   It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at  the top of the page.

You've already done all the steps I could suggest it would seem.

davs_2013
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

thanks a lot ex_brit...but one more thing...when i have used mcafee techcheck...there is one result thats saying i have one or more antivirus products installed...maybe its refering to windows defender????....and what can you say for about 4minutes delay of mcafee for the action center..is it OK?..

If its really the window defender..i cant access it because mcafee diable it.

Message was edited by: davs_2013 on 2/2/13 10:18:23 AM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Yes it's Windows Defender because in 8 it includes antivirus and one should never run 2 at once.   Don't even try to enable it.

There is no similar delay on my Windows 8 but then I'm using the beta McAfee software on that so really can't compare.

If it bothers you I would ask Tech Support to take a look.

davs_2013
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

thanks...and more power.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

OK, good luck. 😉

davs_2013
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

finally, i haved fixed this start up issue by deleting the repository, even though i have to install other program to delete the repository but its all worthy...

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Glad it's OK now.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community