cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aviramof
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

why does mcafee adds sites address to reliable sites list?

a few days ago i'v uninstalled and reinstalled mcafee total protection 2009 and since then my IE6 had started poping a security messege every now and then i tried disabling mcafee addons and mcafee and some other thing but no luck just now after finding a site that this messege is displayed all the time i'v decided to check deeper and found in ie preference-security-reliable sites-sites three lines one was about:somthing and two other were mcafee i'v deleted them and the security messege is gone so what were those lines and why does mcafee put them in the reliable sites list?

10x in advance.:)
Labels (1)
7 Replies
red_dawn
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

RE: why does mcafee adds sites address to reliable sites list?

I've also noticed that when you use the McAfee Virtual Technician, it will also stealthily add 3 sites to Internet Explorer's Trusted Sites.

...very sneaky McAfee, indeed :mad:
aviramof
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

this is all very strange so i'm hopping that someone

here can answear me about this:)
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

RE: this is all very strange so i'm hopping that someone

As Nicko says, McAfee adds them under certain circumstances. The reason is technical and unknown to me so you would be best advised asking Technical Support linked at top left of the page or in my signature.
Remove the entries you don't want to see in there.

While you are at it you might want to check for spyware using the free version of this tool:
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
aviramof
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

just for the record i don't have spyware problem my computer is clean it was mcafee total protection 2009 who had caused me the problem i'v mentioned with ie but since i'v already solved the problem i don't see any reason to continue wasting my time on this problem but if someone has the time and the curiasity to check it out i would most like
to hear what he might find and 10x in advance to any one who might decide to do that:)
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

OK, good luck.
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

mcafee in the trusted list

Hi,

I think the reason why mcafee websites are automatically placed in the trusted list is for facility... there have been issues wherein customer are not able to download the mcafee suite due to the fact that the browser setting is set to a level that won't allow some sites to be displayed... i think this would be a workaround so as for customers not to be bugged by security settings blocking customers from being able to successfully download mcafee...

If mcafee websites are in the trusted list that only means that you can visit any mcafee site without being blocked... though i'm not so sure why these sites are added ni the trusted list... but the best logic i can think of is that "with mcafee sites in the trusted list customers would be able to download and install their product from the websites without having so much problem to go through..." wink
aviramof
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

RE: mcafee in the trusted list

but what i don't understand is why does it cause this strange security messege in all sorts of sites if it waren't for that messege i would most likely wouln't even notied those url's int trusted zone site list does any body eles has the same problem?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community