cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lejahja
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

ups email failed delivery

We are in Australia and were expecting a delivery from UPS. Yesterday, 10 Nov 2010 I received a delivery failure email via yahoo with an attachment. At the time the Norton checker in Yahoo did not detect anything.

Also our mcafee security centre version 10.5 with build 10.5.216. This has virus scan version 14.5 with the latest DAT file did not detect anything.

This is the email text: DHL Delivery Problem No97656
The attachment is: DHL_mailing_label_id.N62410.zip

So thinking it was safe I detached the file and double click it. It created a folder with nothing in it and it hit me that it may be a fake email.

I full scanned again and security centre did not find anything. Today it updated the dat file and again I did a full scan I did not find anything. I am using Windoes Vista with all the recent patches. I don't know what damage double clicking this file did.

Did someone experience the same issue with McAfee security centre? Did I just loaded a virus, if so then can anyone help with removing this since Mcafee still did not detect anything.

I saved the email and when I go to yahoo and tried to download the same file again today, it has detected that this is a virus via Norton virus checker. It did not say which virus it is though.

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: ups email failed delivery

This is a common ploy used by spammers and most likely had absolutely nothing to do with your expected shipment...they wouldn't send you a zip attachment for starters.

Just discard it as spam.

lejahja
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for your feedback Ex_Brit. At the time the email looks legitimate and both Norton (in yahoo) and McAfee did not see the attachment as a problem. So I executed the zip file. I'm not sure what the infection or the damage this is causing. So far I could not tell any isssues on the computer.

Do you have any advice on the next steps? To either determine if there is an issue or how to remove the offending corruptions? Should I remove McAfee for another Virus scanner?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

What was in the zip?   If nothing appeared to happen then it was suspicious.   As I said, legititmate email rejection notices do NOT arrive as zip attachments, they spell out the rejected message in the text.

I recommend you scan for malware with the free version of THIS tool, update it before running.

lejahja
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

I downloaded the malwarebytes scanner as you suggested and ran it. It did not find any infections, I guess this is good news. This will teach me not to open those attachments.

Do you think I need to do more here, like use another malware scanner?

Thank you for your advice and suggestions Ex_Brit.

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

No Luke, I don't think that is necessary. But Peter, the interesting part is even I received a similar kind of email from dhl website but it was stripped by my McAfee [Enterprise Edition] and even I'm expecting a international delivery through courier...

I guess there may be some suspicious codes in the mails that’s been send out from dhl website

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 10

Thanks Aldrin, I saw a few identical emails in my Spam filters which I simply deleted.

Yes I would imagine all is OK now so no need to worry.

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

That's awesome. Thanks Peter

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 10

You're welcome.

lejahja
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Thank you for all your feedback. It has been really helpful.

I'll close this message topic.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community