cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kgerry
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

upgrading Total Protection 2012 to Total Protection 2013

i run TP every year and today i upgraded from 2012 to 2013.... 2012 TP was running fine and up to date.... since installing 2013 (which wiped out my 2012) i can no longer seem to update the program and the Real Time scanning keeps turning off... every time i turn it on it immediately turns back off.... so i can't scan my computer and i can't update anything hoping for a fix....   any suggestions??

why, when everything is working fine can't it just extend my licence without uninstalling everything and reinstalling what appears to me to be an earlier version of the product.... i dread every year the "update" process......

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: upgrading Total Protection 2012 to Total Protection 2013

You may have to resort to uninstalling, running the cleanup tool, rebooting and reinstalling from your online account in this case because it would appear that things didn't go smoothly.

See:  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

confour
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Exactly how my issue started - applying updates - firstly casued the "Realtime scanning turning off"  issue occured - which forced me no other option except to re-install.

Then during install - I had the mfedisk.sys missing error.

Every year and every few months - seems more and more - that we need to protect ourselves from McAfee -and not viruses !!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Are you using any registry cleanup tools at all?  Or using System Restore a lot?  This is typical of what can happen.     When it becomes corrupted like that the only solution is what I previously suiggested.

I've never experienced that myself and I have McAfee installed on 4 systems at the moment.

In general when upgrading it is best to uninstall, cleanup, reboot and reinstall.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/08/13 9:13:40 EDT PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community