Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JERRY
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

total protection 3 will not update reinstall

Hi

I'm currently using total protection 3 users, running XP, the files will not update. It tells me to reinstall total protection 3 so everytime there's an update I have to unistall and reinstall. Is there a solution for this problem and at the same time virtual techician will not work

jerry

11 Replies
Mohan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 12

Re: total protection 3 will not update reinstall

Hi Jerry,

I am not sure why it prompts you to reinstall for every update. Please use the link below to check if your McAfee Products are registred under the proper Email Address . And also try to scan the computer and check if you come up with any infection.

Sometime malwares have the tendency to cause this error.

http://us.mcafee.com/apps/agent/tools/ts/ts_getemail_new.asp

Regards,

Mohan.B

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

Also please provide us this information - How did you install the McAfee programs :- is that from the website or by using any disk, if it's a disk then where was that purchased from...

JERRY
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

it was installed by disk and purchased from bestbuy.

JERRY
Former Member
Message 5 of 12

Mohan

i justed scanned my computer and there was no infection, but I had an infection about 10 days ago and mcafee removed it for me. your link doesn't work to check regisitration.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

Hi Jerry,

After installing total protection, did we make any recent changes for the computer  (like a system restore).

Also check the following;

1. Check and delete if you have any other security software in add/remove programs and their files and folders from C:/program files and common files.

2. Click on "Start" and then click on "Run". Then Type in "Drivers".

On the window that opens up try to open up the folder named "ETC". then look for the file "Hosts" and then right click on the file and open it with "NotePad". Check the bottom of the page just below from where it says 127.0.0.1 local host. If you have list of websites remove them all and ensure you have the details only up to 127.0.0.1 information about websites below this can be removed.

Once done save the files and try to update McAfee.

Regards,
Dinesh K

JERRY
Former Member
Message 7 of 12

Dinesh

the file that I opened was "HOSTS BAK file" and at the bottom of that file it had this "65.77.208.252  auto.search.msn.com" I tried to erase this but I could not save the file. As well there was 2 other files "hosts file" and "hosts iCalendar file", under the "hosts file" there were no addresses after 127.0.0.1. what should I do now?

jerry

Dinz
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

Jerry,

Do you receive any anonymous pop ups while surfing through the internet?
Or this computer, was it infected by any malwares in the past?
If not run the removal tool from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe  and restart the computer
And download the programs again from http://us.mcafee.com.

Kindly report back if you have any issues on the same

Regards,
Dinesh K

Message was edited by: Dinz on 12/29/09 11:17:46 AM GMT-06:00
JERRY
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

this computer had a virus about a month ago, but your virus removal techician removed it for me. should i still use the removal tool? as well your virtual techician does not work on my computer  i removed and reinstall it so many times and still doesn't work what should i do?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 10 of 12

Hi Jerry,

In your case , the problem is because there still exists certain remnants of the previous installation and that could be the reason the new programs is unable to update. Run the removal tool and restart the computer (by which all existing and previous version would be removed)

Then start installing the programs from your account page in the website which will downlaod the latest version and hence you should nt have any problems for update. 

Regards,
Dinesh K 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community