cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

spam/strange email about Ciphent, clarification please

This is really strange. I don't know what to make of it.

I no longer have a McAfee subscription, although I do have my login name plus password for the forum.

Today I received this message by Email:

'CIPHENT.com would like to be your friend.

To make this happen, please go to:

http://community.mcafee.com/people/Riddlez?view=approvals '

They knew my McAfee forum login name and email address.

Usually I would disard such a message as spam or phishing. But since they had my name and email address, I didn't. Of course, I am sensible enough not to click on that link.

I googled CIPHENT.com, searched for it on the forum. It appears they have something to do with security.

BUT WHY WOULD I WANT TO ADD CIPHENT.COM AS A ''FRIEND' ?  Is McAfee a social networking site now ?

What would adding Ciphent as a friend do ? If it's just spam, the email shouldn't have been sent.

Riddlez.

Message was edited by: Riddlez on 11/5/09 5:09 AM
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: spam/strange email about Ciphent, clarification please

Riddlez, it seems this poster, who is active in Corporate products, is being a little too friendly.  Let me ask my colleagues what to do in this case.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 6

Apparently it was a case of over-zealousness by one of their employees.   Hopefully it wont happen again.  Ciphent is a huge client of McAfee.

Sorry for the trouble.

By the way, they did the same to me, even going so far as to offer me a job!

user_33915
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Won't happen again guys. With this said, Peter you definitely now your stuff so anytime you want to come out of retirement just give us a call

Team McAfee at Ciphent

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

LOL, thanks.

reallyticked
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Cipnet

I received the same e-mail from you just this morning.

I no longer use McAfee.  I found that every time it needed to update it would disable my RealTime Scanning and thereby block any further updates.   After many many inquires for help with this problem, with no resolution, I uninstalled it.  If you check my post history you will see that almost every one was about the RealTime Scan issue.

I got sick and tired of having to waste 6+ hours downloading the whole thing from their website, just to have an update.   I also spent endless hours with Technicians that rely on scripted answers to solve problems.    If your problem didn't fit they gave some cockamamie excuse why.

It's sad too because I really liked McAfee.    It's too bad they didn't have sense enough to check their product for bugs before releasing it to the public.   $60 is a lot of money for a program that offers not much more than a constant headache.  I'm perfectly happy with the new program I found and guess what, it's absolutely free.   Doesn't offer all the bells and whistles McAfee did, but I've yet to run into any issues with it.  I've had it installed for roughly 3 months now.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community