cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikenmike0001
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

new to using Network Manager

I just installed Total Protection 2009 and learning how to use the network manager. I look at the layout, and there's one machine listed with no computer name, but just an ip address of 192.168.0.103. both that computer and my computer is connected to the router accoriding to the diagram, but I can't get any information on the 192.168.0.103.

It says unknown.

What are my options and how do I trace it?
8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

RE: new to using Network Manager

You can't trace it, through McAfee anyway. Mark it as an Intruder if you don't know who it is.

If you aren't using a network then stop trusting it and the warnings of unknowns will cease.

In my case there are others in my apartment building that are linked to the same cable node, they show up as strangers/unknowns. If you have a wireless router all kinds of strange ones can show up.
mikenmike0001
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

yes, i do use a wireless router, but the thing is, if mcafee picks up other machines connected, shouldn't I at least see the name fo the computer id like how it does with mine? Why does it only show only an ip address? that doesn't tell me anything. I can't tell how to translate that.

Can you explain?

Also, I didn't see the option to set something unknown as an intruder. It only lets me have the option to hide it from view
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

It can only read IP addresses unless they are included in your local network and have McAfee installed...or so I believe. Tech. Support would be better equipped to answer that.

If you click any of the stranger IP's the option to mark as a friend or intruder should be there at the bottom right under "Manage Network" in Security Center.

Likewise if you click on any of the lines connecting these the option not to trust the network should be there.
mikenmike0001
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

If I select "do not trust the network", doesn't that disconnect me from my wireless router?

if it can only read ip addresses, how can I interpret that it's one of my local machines in the household connected to the router compared to devices elsewhere (intruders)? Any giveaways?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 9

To be honest I have no idea. There is a help section in the Security Center to aid you. I connect by wire to my router and the other person who connects wirelessly here is not trusted on my machine and is markied as an intruder also, they still can coinnect.
Unless you are using your wireless router to connect with other machines in the same location I don't think you need to trust the network at all.

I'll flag this to see if anyone knows.
secured2k
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Hello,

Consider 2 network modes. Public and Private.

Public - random data, connections, who-knows-who's-out there?
Private - Only devices I know and trust are directly to the same hardware.

When you choose "Do not trust this network" you are basically setting the firewall to a default deny policy. It should not disconnect you from the internet or your wireless access point. Otherwise, your 'local' networks have a default allow policy since it's a "trusted" network. The firewall can still be told to block/allow traffic as needed.

The basic system only sees IP addresses. The "name" is an added feature where the client machines send a "host name" during the DHCP (Automatic IP config).

You should try doing an IPCONFIG /RENEW on the trouble system.

There are other ways this information could be discovered. The 2 other most common ways is through NETBIOS/SMB (Windows File/Printer Sharing) and the other is through a special protocol driver called LLTD (link-layer topology driver).

With NETBIOS/SMB it's possible those features or network ports are disabled or blocked, thus disabling that method.

The LLTD is a feature of Windows Vista and only works if your network is NOT set to public and/or you allow "Network Discovery". There is a driver download from Microsoft that will allow the drivers to install on Windows XP as well.

I hope this information helps you.
mikenmike0001
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

I sort of understand this. Will need to read up more to kn ow what you're saying with the LLTD and others.

In the meantime, since you mentioned that denying the trust will allow me to still talk to the wireless router and hence, connect ot the internet, I will just remove that network then.

I thought that the maanging networks feature was supposed to override the network management from the wireless router or something.

If I leave this as "trusted network" then that other machine that I don't know of can access my machine as an access point right?
secured2k
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 9

It is safe to remove older networks that you are no longer connected to. You should not be able to remove the network you are currently connected to.

If you leave it as trusted, it is possible for other machines on the same network (wireless or wired into the same router) to see your computer and potentially access insecure services.

Services are programs providing a feature through the network. Examples are web servers and Microsoft File and Printer Sharing. These can be password protected. Security depends on the service not being exploitable to leak information or allow unauthorized access.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community