cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
terrychubby
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

mfehidk.sys problem using XP - crashes

I am using wondows Xp and keep crashing with the problem beinh "mfehidk.sys" does anyone know how to fix ? thansks Terry

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: mfehidk.sys problem using XP - crashes

You are posting in an archived section, can you specify what McAfee product you are using so I can move this accordingly?  Also I assume this is XP SP3 and fully updated?

terrychubby
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

XP sp3 - yes   I have cox (cable) securit y suite and upto date - buit daily it crashes and list mfehidk.sys as the problem

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

OK thanks, have moved this to SecurityCenter for better support.

As McAfee relies on Internet Explorer to function make sure that you are also up to date with that, in other words IE8.   It doesn't have to be the default browser, just installed and set to default settings.

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it fixes things:   http://mvt.mcafee.com/   Note: sometimes MVT wont detect the software if it is provided gy a 3rd party, in your case Cox.

In which case I would try uninstalling via Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs and then running the MCPR cleanup tool, rebooting and reinstalling from the online account.

If that fails then your best bet is Technical Support, linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/09/13 12:56:20 EDT PM
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Look in the Event logs and see if there are any messages in the System or Application sections about this. There will be an Event Id associated with each failure.

By the way, "crash" is ambiguous. Do you get a Blue Screen (a Windows shutdown, has a minidump associated with it) or just a popup saying "(x) has encountered a problem and has to close"?

terrychubby
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

I get a blue screen - every time.

terrychubby
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

sorry - but where do I find the events log?

terrychubby
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

how can you reinstall mcafee if it comes from your sservice provider ? No password or account to enter?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 10

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Blue Screen? No problem. It's just an unexpected shutdown. Windows stores information about what caused it. You need to have Windows produce a minidump, then have a program to open the minidump and show you what may have caused the problem.

So, for information about Event Viewer and Event Logs in XP, and to specify what action to take when Windows shuts down unexpectedly, go to Start and find Help & Support Center. There's a search box upper right : just enter 'Event Logs' there and you'll get 2 tasks and 3 overviews listed in the pane on the left. Click on each for advice and information.

Help & Support Center - event logs.PNG

The program to show you what's in a Windows minidump is NirSoft's BlueScreenView.

On XP you should have two copies of this file, as shown below. Check that if you have mfehidk.sys it's in one or both of those locations. Use Search.

mfehidk properties.JPG

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community