cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
windyweather
Former Member
Message 51 of 150

Re: mcshield.exe and 100% CPU still a problem

What is the point of having an AV which makes your computer unusable - when mcshield is stopped, the computer works fine, but once it's started up again it takes over - this happened this week for no reason whatsoever.  I'm considering not renewing my subscription this year, and going with another AV - I'm fed up to the back teeth with it!!!!!!

windyweather
Former Member
Message 52 of 150

I totally agree with you - I'm considering the same!

Peacekeeper
Message 53 of 150

All that said what PC specs are you running I would assume P4 processor with no Hyperthreading present or active. Xp as well? Trying to get a better feel on the issue. I get lockups but only mid scan when scanning the windows \checksur folder. Other times mcshield is stable.  This the same on my families 9 PCs but all dual core e5700 or higher with ram 2Gb or better.

Something is stimulating the darn program to act up.

So is your issue only during a scan as for the last poster you replied to is?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 9/04/12 6:43:25 AM
DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 54 of 150

Thank you. I have given full details of my system and how it is set up earler in this thrad. The problem can occur at any time for no obvious reason and not lust when scanning.

After a few changes as previously explained my system is now working reasonbly well EXCEPT for Internet Explorer (version 8). As soon as this is opened the CPU use shoots up to 100 or nearly 100%.

Firefox (9.0.1) in usually OK and only runs into the 100% CPU problem occasionally and then not for very long.

I also repeat that there were NO PROBLEMS at all with McAfee UNTIL A FEW WEEKS AGO and that I have had a McAfee technician look at my computer remotely and I have done full scans without finding the cause of the problem

One way or another it looks as though I will need to uninstall McAfee - even if I then try reinstalling it first before trying somethig else.

However I would appreciate an answer to my queston: should I disconnect from the internet whilst uninstalling McAfee in order to remove the risk of getting a virus during this process?

Derek

Peacekeeper
Message 55 of 150

I uninstall regularly it something we mods do testing new versions. I have never had an issue.

If you are uninstalling fpollow this method

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe

Reinstall mcafee OR and this a wild thought join the beta group and install beta 6

www.beta.mcafee.com

If you are only offerred beta 5 (some are) PM me and I will ensure you get 6. It scans differently so maybe the issue is not there in this version.

It has 1 big + instant scheduled scan starting.

windyweather
Former Member
Message 56 of 150

It's working fine today - had to reboot yesterday - it's just annoying that Mcafee don't show what site/program is causing the problem, at least then I could do something about it!

Peacekeeper
Message 57 of 150

All mine are not ever seeing the issue so  far they cannot see what is the cause.

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 58 of 150

I too find that it varies from day to day. Today, 13 April 2012, my set up is working well. Internet Explorer is the one program that still produces the 100%CPU but even that is not too bad today and, as a test, I tried watching live TV with the BBC iPlayer and that is working with only the occasional and fairly brief 100%CPU periods.

Firefox (9.0.1) is though is still much better and the iPlayer works with live TV without any problem.

McAfee internet security has got some useful components which other internet security programs do not have so I would still like to keep McAfee if possible. As it is today, and since I don't use IE unless I can't avoid it, I would not need to get rid of McAfee and get something else if it remained like it is now. Could this variation from day to day be something to do with the daily DAT updates?

Derek

Peacekeeper
Message 59 of 150

Re dats I would assume not. Noone interested in trying the beta? As I said VS works differently and Dats are not the same. The beta has been out for 2 mths so is not buggy.

fgabriel26
Former Member
Message 60 of 150

mcshield need to add an option not to scan trusted programs seriously it shouldn't prevent you from playing mmo

as soon as my computer got 1 year old the problem started and it get worst (happens once every hour now) and my computer only 2 1/2 year old wtf

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community