Former Member
Message 131 of 150

Re: mcshield.exe and 100% CPU still a problem

Quad core.

docrings
Former Member
Message 132 of 150

Our computers just got McShield.exe and Shstat.exe, and the 100% CPU "lock-ups" happen to our entire staff every 5 to 20 minutes, lasting 30 seconds or so... talk about frustrating and really impacting productivity.

What program takes over a computer CPU completely, so that you can't even CTRL-ALT-DEL into the Task Manager to see what is hogging the CPU power..?  Oh yeah, that's called MALWARE.

The I.T. dept just shrugs and says "out of our hands"... it's required by higher-level company security "gurus"... ugh.

Message was edited by: docrings on 3/7/13 6:04:47 PM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 133 of 150

It shouldn't be happening especially on such a large scale.  Your I.T. department, instead of simply shrugging, should get on the phone to Technical Support.  It's free after all.  Sounds to me like there's a possible software clash but that's merely a guess.

docrings
Former Member
Message 134 of 150

It makes sense that it's happening to our entire department, due to the fact we all have identical PC's, imaged hard-drives and anti-badguy software.

I'll pass along your advice to have them call Tech Support... but this is the Federal Gov't we're dealing with at my job...so who knows...especially since most of them are going to lose 20% of their salaries beginning in April..!   DOH! 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 135 of 150

Also this area is for Consumer products.  I have a feeling you may be talking Enterprise in which case there is an even better support portal.

I know what you mean re: cutbacks and all, went through it myself.   It doesn't encourage people to go that extra mile.

Peacekeeper
Message 136 of 150

This not causing the issue?

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB52367

A tad old but might apply. Your enterprise support contact should help you as Peter said.

docrings
Former Member
Message 137 of 150

Thanks, folks, for the tip links!  I'll forward to I.T. dept head, and see if this is something they can troubleshoot on a local level and get fixed.  I'll also have them contact the Corporate contract help line...  

<fingers crossed>

Cheers!! 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 138 of 150

Do you any idea of which McAfee product we are talking about?  Then I can move this to the appropriate section.

daleinwastate
Former Member
Message 139 of 150

I reported this problem on January 19, 2013-

"My McAfee antivirus just updated an hour ago. Ever since the update, my computer is running very slowly. Task manager tells me that 50 - 60% of my CPU cycles are being used. I turned off McAfee real time scanning and the computer has returned to normal. I turned real time scanning back on and the CPU cycles are being overused again. So the problem has been pinpointed. I am running McAfee antivirus version 16.1 build 16.1.144 last update 1-19-13. The engine version is 1410.0 engine creation date 1-19-13. My CPU (if it matters) is an AMD Phenom II 565. I have 4 gigs of RAM installed. Please advise."

On January 22, user "Peacekeeper" suggested a fix was coming in February-

"OK they are working on a fix for email issues both for incredimail and thunderbird and it is slated for release in February. I cannot give a date as they always let the date slip whenever I mention 1. Those messages usually stay up on the screen so sounds transient ie happening for a short time then fixes itself. I have not seen this on any of my installs sorry"

As of April 30th, McAfee is slowing my Thunderbird E-Mail program just as much as ever. Nothing has changed after many updates in the 3 1/2 months since I reported the problem.

Surely, I'm not the only person with this issue.

What gives?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 140 of 150

I would open a case with Technical Support if I were you.  It's free by phone or online chat and linkded under Useful Links att the toip of this page.  Ask for escalation if necessary and especially if you have already opened a case with them.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community