Message 41 of 150

Re: mcshield.exe and 100% CPU still a problem

DerekShaw wrote:

Thank you for the further comments.

In my Internet options, Trusted sites I have :-

about: internet

http://*.mcafee.com

https://*.mcafee.com

and the box is checked for "Requre server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone".

Should I make any changes to this?

I do not have a gmail.com e-mail account but my webmail is via BT Yahoo and I also have Thunderbird (9.0.1 at present) using POP3 to work with my btinternet address and this is the only e-mail client that I use. I do not use any form of Outlook or Outlook Express although I have versions of these on my computer.

Thanks again for you advice.

Derek

Hi Derek,

While McAfee is installed, if you were to remove those sites from Trusted Sites,  they would just  reappear in Trusted Sites again. I know, cause I tried it already.

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 42 of 150

I have also tried deleting these and they have not come back  - perhaps they will on rebooting.

But now I am finding another problem. I can no longer use Google Earth. When I do, this program takes up 100% CPU and not mcshield. Until recently Google Earth worked well. If I turn off Realtime scanning in McAfee for a (very) short time as a test then Google Earth works well again.

Somehow McAfee must therfore be "over zealous" in its scanning and maybe the problem lies in this direction.

I was using my wife's older Dell Dimension 8200 which has an Intel P4 2.25GHz CPU (compared to my 3.00) and 1.5 GByte RAM (compared to my 2.00) but with AVG internet Security Suite. This ought to be slower but I was finding the response quicker than mine and it does rather look as though it is because of it having AVG and not McAfee. I would though like to keep McAfee if possible because it has some useful components which AVG does not have

I must probably try running some diagnostics on mine to see if my computer has developed a fault but since everyting else is working and the results I get with quick tests of turning off realtime scanning I get the feeling that it is not a computer fault.

Derek

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 43 of 150

Some further comments. The Dell Dimension 3100 has a very extensive Diagnostic program. I have now run a number of tests with this and all tests were passed, meaning that there is no fault with the computer.

I also looked in the BIOS, F2 on start-up is the key I had to use for this compuiter, and I found that the P4 processor is hyper threading capable but that hyper threading is set to the default OFF.

The slow performance of my computer, which is getting worse is therefore now looking as though it is really is something to do with McAfee.

I could try uninstalling (with Add/Remove progams followed by MCPR) and reinstalling to see if that helps before looking for other Intternet Security software.

If I do this, after downloading the setup program, should I disable the internet connection for the uninstall process and then enable it for the reinstallation in order to reduce the risk of getting viruses?

Derek

newjack
Former Member
Message 44 of 150

Hey Derek, You should think about unistalling & trying something else for a bit.Just to see how your computer is running then.I had Mcafee Installed for a few years & have had bunch of Issues over the years.I am not running XP.A while back While I still had over a year left on my subscription I was running Into some problems with My computer with Mcafee Installed.I then recieved a reply from the creator that maybe all the headaches were not worth my time.That maybe I should think of trying something else.I thought... Why should I do that?I have purchased a 3 years deal!?Then after my latest batch of problems I thought back on what the Creator said.I then came to realize (he or she) was right.The headaches were not worth the remaining year or so of the contract.I have since done some resaerch on www.Av-test.org & www.Av-Comparites.org & came to the conclusion That in my opinion my money was not well spent.Then went on to buy what I feel is a bettor product.You can always try something else & you still have your Mcafee If you want to try It again down the road.There are even a few good free programs on those sites that actually did bettor then Mcafee.But they are without a firewall.but there are also some pretty good free firewall also.Just something to think of trying.If you uninstall dont forget to reboot.Then run mcpr Reboot again.Then make sure your Windows firewall is on.Good luck

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 45 of 150

Thank you for your comments.

To my specific question, would you think that it is a good idea to disconnect from the internet whilst uninstalling McAfee from Add/Remove programs and then running MCPR?

My reasoning behind this is that it would take some time to do this and one would not have any internet security whilst doing it. Disconnecting from the internet would make it impossible to get a virus during that time.

The Windows Firewall could be enabled of course and probably should be whilst either reinstalling McAfee or installing something else over the internet to try.

Derek

Peacekeeper
Message 46 of 150

I never do Windows firewall turns itself on when Mcafee is removed or should.

Derek when you get this mcshield issue I assume you are not scanning. I ask as it has been asked before but I am noticing some high memory issues with mcshiled scanning cab files which are ziopped files within zip files. Mcshield has a fit for a while. Only some types though.

newjack
Former Member
Message 47 of 150

You could do that.But Mcafee should turn windows firewall back on.I say should,because I have seen various instances where Mcafee does not do what it is supposed to.For instance.When I had Macafee Installed on my computer the default firewall setting for Mcafee is outgoing .But every time I Installed Mcafee It would install as full access for everything!So What it should do & what it does I guess depends on the luck of the draw.I would disconnect just to be sure.If you have a subscription to Mcafee you can always reinstall it down the road if your not happy with whatever else you get.Also If you Just purchesed & your within the 30day window & don`t want it You could ask for a refund.That is up to you.If you check out the sites I mentioned abouve you can find some good alternitives for free or pay.If you go with free.You may want to install a separate firewall like zone alarm or comodo.There are plenty of tutorials on Youtube If you have Questions about these firewalls.Whatever you choose to do Good Luck.

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 48 of 150

Thank you to you and everyone who has made some useful suggestions. If I do decide to get something else and therefore unistall McAfee first but also leave an option open to go back to McAfee it is all quite clear. I was thinking of maybe getting a full internet security suite which has a free trial so I would not have to buy something first. Not so convinced about Zone alarm as a firewall if I should go for freeware as I have the feeling (from posts on the Mozilla forum) that this can cause problems with Firefox.

But, if I do uninstall McAfee, is it a good idea to disconnect from the internet whilst doing so in order to remove the risk of getting a virus in the time required to uninstall?

By the way I have got Google Earth fully working again by changing the McAfee Firewall setting for it and also changing the video setting in Google Earth from DirectX  to OpenGL. Don't know why this worked, it always worked better on DirectX before and also with the previous Firewall settimg.

The main problem is still IE (version 😎 but at least I don't need to use this very often.

Thanks again,

Derek

Message was edited by: DerekShaw on 05/04/12 14:21:23 CDT
newjack
Former Member
Message 49 of 150

Well,depending on what you have on your system as far as free space.There are a few very good programs on those links I provided above.Check out how they rated & choose from there.Most of them Offer free 30 day.I know Bitdefender & kaspersky do.Plus you can always go back to Mcafee since you have the subscription.I have 1 for over a year also.But dont think I will ever reinstall Mcafee.Just the thought of the new release gives nightmares.LOL

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 50 of 150

Thank you again. As I said it is all quite clear, but I would like to know if you think it is a good, or even wise, idea to disconnect from the internet whilst uninstalling McAfee in order to remove the risk of getting a virus during this process?

Clearly, either to reinstall or install something else it would be necessary to reconnect to the internet again - and then carry out a full scan after the installation is complete to be on the safe side.

Derek

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community