cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 21 of 150

Re: mcshield.exe and 100% CPU still a problem

Just a further thought. Until a few weeks ago I was very pleased with McAfee on my computer and would like to keep it if I could get rid of this, for me new, problem of 100% CPU.

Has anyone been successful in acheiving this by uninstalling and reinstallig the Internet Security Suite?

Would this be worth tying before leaving McAfee and using some other product?

Derek

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 22 of 150

DerekShaw wrote:

Just a further thought. Until a few weeks ago I was very pleased with McAfee on my computer and would like to keep it if I could get rid of this, for me new, problem of 100% CPU.

Has anyone been successful in acheiving this by uninstalling and reinstallig the Internet Security Suite?

Would this be worth tying before leaving McAfee and using some other product?

Derek

Hi Derek,

I am using the product in my Signature from McAfee. However, because it takes over the CPU, I have Real-Time Scanning set to Never and Mcshield.exe still scans when I back up my files.

This is my procedure when I uninstall and reinstall the product. I have Beta, but you don't.

Download McAfee Product Removal Tool for your product.

1. For Non-Beta product, use Windows to uninstall the product from the operating system.
  2. Reboot the computer.
  3. Use the Downloaded MCPR to finish the job.
  4. Reboot the computer..
  5. I manually go to my \Temp Folders and delete all sub-folders and files.
  6. Then I run Disk Cleanup.
  7. I use TuneUp Utilities to clean the Windows Registry and clean the browsers along the way. Get the product from here and you are able to use the product for 15 days.  http://www.tune-up.com/
  8. Reboot the computer and download the product from your Account and reinstall and test.

I like McAfee but it has been added stuff to it then interfers with Home Networks. So the new stuff, has to be disabled. Intrusion Detection and Netguard.

Peacekeeper
Message 23 of 150

What are the PC specs also good idea to call tech support and keep this issue on their radar. Re installing it again it usually does not help but really a couple of questions as well as the specs 1.

1. Do you have indexing turned on and is it indexing all drives this can cause mcshield to be active.

2. No other AV ever installed? incorrect removal (IE not by their own removal tool) can cause this issue as well.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/03/12 7:08:56 AM
DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 24 of 150

My computer specs I have given twice in this thread already and should be more than enough.

I have never used another AV/Internet Security program on this computer. When I bought it I did not buy AV software with it but purchased McAfee myself and installed it as one of the first progams and have kept it updated.

Indexing is turned on but presumably always has been and turning it off does not remove this problem.

There was no problem with McAfee until a few weeks ago  - i.e. no 100% CPU problem until then - so something must have cahnge the which has caused the problem to arise.

Derek

Peacekeeper
Message 25 of 150

Dell Dimension 3100 with 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 and 2 Gbyte RAM

Windows XP Professional SP3 kept up to date.

Ok sorry thought I was in the other long thread and was loathe to search.

I see a single core processor and hyper threaded I assume.  Wish I had kept the 2.8Ghz cpu I had my dual core will not miss a beat in my test pC.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/03/12 7:06:14 PM
DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 26 of 150

I would like to repeat that until a few weeks ago I did not have any problems with McAfee on my computer. This seems to be a key point and something must have happened then to create the problem. I did not install any new software at that time but of course both Windows and McAfee are kept up to date so there will have been changes from these updates.

I also have the freeware version of Malewarebytes which I run manually from time to time in addition to a regular full scan with McAfee and no malware has been found, so this, always a possible problem, is surely ruled out.

Any furtherr comments about what updates there might have been that could have caused the problem?

Derek

Peacekeeper
Message 27 of 150

Problem is this issue seems to have started late last year. I do not know why yours only started 3 weeks ago.

Malwarebytes free fine do not let any1 say otherwise. Of course installing Mcafee that is different MWB needs to be removed first and reinstalled later.. That is an aside. Try clearing temp files internet temp files and cache something is causing the loop.

Our usual tech back next week so will discuss where we go then.

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 28 of 150

Thanks for the tip about needing to remove MWB if I decide to unistall and reinstall McAfee.

Have removed Tempory Internet files with no effect and also cleared out the Temp folder.

The one program that produces the 100% CPU problem particularly is IE (version 8 of course). I mostly use Firefox (currently 9.0.1) and that is mostly OK (as well as being generally very much faster).

Looking at the auto-updates I see that I have:-

Security Update for Windows IE 8 (KB2647516) installed on 16 Feb 2012

and

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2660465) also installed on 16 Feb 2012.

These were installled at about the time that the 100% CPU problem started for me.

There will also have been regular McAfee updates around that time and since of course, which is why I first suspected that it was a McAfee update which started the problem.

Don't know if this information is of any use but I thought it would be worth posting it in case.

Derek

Peacekeeper
Message 29 of 150

Check exactly what those Kbs were about if you take 1 at a time out and test the pC then reenstate it it should not hurt. I haven't sen any big fixes in Mcafee since the mid Januarry desktop icon issue.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 30 of 150

Peacekeeper wrote:

Check exactly what those Kbs were about if you take 1 at a time out and test the pC then reenstate it it should not hurt. I haven't sen any big fixes in Mcafee since the mid Januarry desktop icon issue.

Hi Peacekeeper,

Security Update for Windows IE 8 (KB2647516) installed on 16 Feb 2012

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms12-010

General Information

Executive Summary

This security update resolves four privately reported vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer. The most severe vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution if a user views a specially crafted web page using Internet Explorer. An attacker who successfully exploited any of these vulnerabilities could gain the same user rights as the logged-on user. Users whose accounts are configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less impacted than users who operate with administrative user rights.

This security update is rated Critical for Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 8, and Internet Explorer 9 on Windows clients and Moderate for Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 8, and Internet Explorer 9 on Windows servers. This security update is also rated Moderate for Internet Explorer 6 on all supported editions of Windows XP. For more information, see the subsection, Affected and Non-Affected Software, in this section.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2660465) also installed on 16 Feb 2012.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms12-008

General Information

Executive Summary

This security update resolves a privately reported vulnerability and a publicly disclosed vulnerability in Microsoft Windows. The more severe of these vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution if a user visits a website containing specially crafted content or if a specially crafted application is run locally. An attacker would have no way to force users to visit a malicious website. Instead, an attacker would have to convince users to visit the website, typically by getting them to click a link in an email message or Instant Messenger message that takes them to the attacker's website.

This security update is rated Critical for all supported releases of Microsoft Windows. For more information, see the subsection, Affected and Non-Affected Software, in this section.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community