Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ckyriazis2006
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

mcshield.exe/Real-Time Scanning Starting/McAfee Updates Problems

Hi All

I am for one glad I am not the only one with this new problem everything was fine on Saturday then McAfee gone and updated their system for the new year and it is planely obvious that there are defiently bugs in this new system. I spent almost all day Tuesday and a little bit of Wensday on this problem. What is happenning to me is when I start the computer up within about 3 minutes I get a mcshield.exe error and McAfee wants to install an update. The problem is every time it tries to install this update it never finishes it and stop and then I will get on average about 4 mcshield.exe errors in a row and then it will ask to install what I can only asume as the same update again. I chat with and talked to 4 different Tier1 tech's on tuesday each tried something different which did not work once I restarted the computer. I also spent 3 hours with a Tier2 tech who did lots of stuff include windows updates and even had me insert the Windows XP disk to see if any original files had been changed. Finally he ran Getsup and found 7 suspeious files these files though after checking them out myself our beign and important to run programs on the computer. So far ignoring this update is the only thing that works although it does not fix this Real-Time Scanning starting problem. To answer you questions that you may have yes I have reinstalled Mcafee several times using my online account and yes I have run MVT it found 3 problems it fixed one process that was not running and could not fix the one service it also told me updates are available but as I explained earlier what ever those updates are I can't download them. Can anybody help me. Thanks

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: mcshield.exe/Real-Time Scanning Starting/McAfee Updates Problems

First of all make sure that your operating system is totally up to date, XP SP3 fully updated including IE8, even if you don't use it, McAfee does but it doesn't need to be your default browser.

Also make absolutely sure that your system clock is accurate both time and timezone-wise.

Try uninstalling all McAfee via Control Panel > Programs

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Then install your software again from the online account.

(To save time with that last step you could go to your account,page and save the downloader to your desktop before starting all of this).

ckyriazis2006
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Hi Peter

Service Pack 3 was already installed. Newest version of IE8 was already installed. System clock was about 2 minutes fast but I changed it. It is now about half a second fast. Time zone was -05:00 EST which is correct. I uninstalled McAfee through control panel required restart. Then I ran MCPR that also required a restart then downloaded McAfee through my account. It is fine now but will see when I restart the computer that seems to be when the problems start.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Sounds good, let's hope it stays good.  

ckyriazis2006
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Hi Peter

Started up the computer this morning and it is back the way it was. Do you know if Mcafee is working on a patch to fix this problem that at least 4 people so far seem to be having. Thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

I have no idea.  Best to open a case with immediate escalation - see Technical Support under Useful Links at the top of this page.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community