cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 11 of 27

Re: mcafee security center did not update since 12/19/16

After yet another reboot, the manual update was successful, showing the blue dot on the icon on the tray, and updating to engine 2864.

But having to do all these restarts can't be right.

quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 12 of 27

Yet again.  I have been checking Engine versions and starting from the desktop icon daily, to be sure updates are done.

This time, when I click on the McAfee icon on the task bar, a pop up message "An update is being installed.  Please wait until the McAfee finishes the installation of your software". 

Also noticed in the event log only one mfehidk event, instead of the usual two.

And a Distributed COM event #10005.  Got error 1054 attempting to start service mcpltsvc with arguments "" in order to run the server <long string of characters and digits, likely some sort of SID".

From task manager, mcpltsvc is the McAfee Platform services and it is in the stopped state.

This continued to happen after three restarts of the PC.

quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 13 of 27

Correction, the DistributedCom error was 1053, not 1054.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 27

I would contact Technical Support as described early in this thread.

quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 15 of 27

I powered off the PC overnight.  When I restarted it, I did a manual update, and left the Security Center window opened, as suggested by another discussion thread.  The update completed, no restart needed.  Yesterday, I closed the window during the update, and was unable to open the security center afterward, receiving the "an update is being installed" pop-up mentioned above.

Security center was updated to 15.3.3061 on 1/26/17.  Anti virus to 19.0.3060 on 1/26/17. But engine was still at 2870,  with date 1/25/17.

I did another manual update,  and antivirus is now 19.0.3060 dated 1/27/17, with engine 2872, with date 1/27/17.

I also noted that there were multiple QcShm.exe processes running on my other PC which correctly updated itself to those same versions.  (after being powered off overnight and restarted). There is another discussion thread about that problem, about a new QcShm.exe starting every time security center is opened, and "about" clicked on to get version info.

Seems there may be a series of issues here, that have been encountered by other people since December.  Not sure what is addressed by new security center version.

Note, I get McAfee directly from McAfee, (Affid = 0).

As a nit, the grammer in the message should be corrected "Please wait until the McAfee finishes .... ".

"The McAfee security center finishes"   Or "until McAfee finishes" makes more sense to me.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 27

There has been a fix released to the Technicians in regards to the (AnalyticsSDK Memory Usage Issue).

Hopefully it will resolve this issue.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 27

There's a fix for the multiple QcShm issue in the works soon.

The dates in the current interface/About are very confusing.  I suggest just leaving it alone and it will up date itself automatically when necessary.

quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 18 of 27

I am on Windows 7.  I thought the Analytics issue was only Windows 10?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 27

You have a point there. Sorry in a hurry, walking out the door.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 20 of 27

Task manager does not show the analytics as top memory user on my PC.  IExplorer and McShield are the biggest users.  I do not use Chrome.

Also, the original problem is that updates were not being done or were hanging.  So I am skeptical about waiting for automatic updates to fix things.  I will continue to check manually.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community