Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 27

Re: mcafee security center did not update since 12/19/16

I only said the update thing because I know from my own experience that a manual update can hang seemingly forever, so I've long since abandoned that practice.

The fix is mainly for Windows 10 memory leaks but it should fix the multiple instances thing in all OS's I would imagine.

We'll have to wait and see I guess.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 27

I am compelled to agree entirely with Colleague Ex_Brit. As long as your McAfee Security Center shows "Your Computer is Secure" with a (Green) Checkmark/And your updates show they are current. You are OK. One will drive themselves crazy paying close attention to the (Event Viewer), if you will.

It seems that you are on Version/Build 14.0 R12. The (New) installer for Version/Build 15.1R0/15.1.156 is currently being enhanced, and should begin throttling it out again soon. As for the QcShm issue it is also being addressed, same as the other.

Again my advice is as Ex_Brit,s, set your Update settings to (Automatic) and everything should be fine.

The most current (Engine Version is as you mentioned 2872.0. Which I received through (Automatic Updates)

Regards,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 23 of 27

The updates are current because I manually updated them.  The problem was that the updates were not occurring, or when they did, I could not start the security center since updates were in progress and not completing.    How can my computer be secure if engine updates had not occurred for several days?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 27

Then obviously something needs to be looked at as that shouldn't happen and the only way that can be done is if you contact Technical Support.

avintel
Contributor
Message 25 of 27

I've owned McAfee LiveSafe since July 12, 2016, and since
that time I’ve never had issues with the way it was running (for Windows 7
professional) until early yesterday morning, around 3 am EST, January 27, 2017, when I discovered it
was no longer functioning.

By that point, I realized that my computer had been
vulnerable since 9 pm the evening before. When I discerned I no longer had
service nor was I receiving the requisite 'automatic' updates, I immediately contacted
McAfee for technical support. The excuse the technician gave was it must have
been my ISP that ‘flubbed’ my updates which is why my AVP ceased.

To be perfectly candid, I found that excuse, extremely
unacceptable, especially when their support website site said they were experiencing
higher than expected caller volume that morning.  And when I asked the technician if this type
of incident was the reason, she averted my question.

Let me add that I’ve seen this movie before.  When I owned Norton 360 and Bitdefender, they
both ran fine until several months later when I noticed I was no longer getting
automatic updates.  And their excuse was
the same as McAfee's, it must have been ‘my’ ISP’!
Unfortunately, I kept hoping that this was just a random occurrence,
ignoring the inevitable. Nevertheless, I’m no longer a client of Norton 360 or
Bitdefender as I tired of their double talk and promises that these incidents
were merely fluke events as my computer remained at risk.

So, as an avid hobbyist whose interests includes flight
simulation and other action games (which I'm able to modify to enhance their
playability and realism), photography, and writing, I need the peace of mind
knowing that my computer and program files will never be compromised by an
inferior AVP. Incidentally, after my McAfee LiveSafe was up and running again, I ran
a full system scan and discovered that my machine had a virus, a.k.a.,
JS-Nemucod, a known Trojan. And who knows what else I could have acquired in
the timespan my ‘shield’ was down!

Thus, if it happens that McAfee LiveSafe ever again
shuts down in the middle of the night due to the inability of McAfee to send
timely and reliable updates, I will not hesitate to contact McAfee and demand
nothing less than a full refund for a defective product so I can simply
purchase a more dependable security engine elsewhere!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 27

I am sorry you are experiencing issues. I am running Windows 7 Sp1 as well, and all is functioning properly. I suggest that you contact Total Satisfaction Promise - McAfee Support  and provide them your (Service Request Number) and explain your experience.

I might add that the (Banner) you seen is troubling, as It was my experience of only having to wait 2 minutes when phoning Support. We have brought this up for a 'Topic of Discussion' on our upcoming Conference Call

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 27

I would follow Catdaddy's advice.  By the way, if you aren't satisfied with Tech Support's answer you can always go back to them and ask for escalation or click that link he just provided.

A trojan is not a virus, it can be annoying however.

Before contacting support again I suggest running Malwarebytes Free and AdwareCleaner all available under 3rd party tools in this link: 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community