cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
petecarty
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

generic!bg.bsq

Yesterday I discovered that my pc had been infected with the above virus/worm.  McAfee was unable to remove the whole program/file and I was unable to do so as a message told me that I did have the necessary permission- I presume the file had some built in security that prevented me from doing so. In desperation I deleted the folder the file was sitting in (a public folder on my pc), emptied my recycle bin and then rebooted.  This appears to have done the trick as I ran my virus scan again and this time it did not detect the virus.  Now I admit to not being very technically able when it comes to matters of this nature and it concerns me that this was too easy and that somehow this virus is still lurking hidden on my pc.  Any comments or observations would be welcome.  I would also say how disappointed I am that after shelling out a lot of money for virus protection, that I would have to pay McAfee a lot more money for it to remove a virus. Thanks Peter

2 Replies
petecarty
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: generic!bg.bsq

SorryI forgot to memtion that my other concern is how this managed to slip under the radar when I have my virus protection running all the time, including regular updates.  Obviously there is a hole in my security somewherre!!!

Peter

andyross
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: generic!bg.bsq

Be wary of 'generic' detections. In my opinion, 99% are FALSE positives. I ran into several a few weeks ago. It should have been quarantined. After a few days, you can try using the quarantine manager to restore it, then rescan to see if it's still detected. If you believe it truely is a false, you an also submit it to be checked.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community