cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WBLewis
Former Member
Message 11 of 18

RE: Hi

Date and time are OK. I did the manual update. Still no change in being able to access certain sites. I'm somewhat hesitate about uninstalling Mcafee because I have not been able to access the Mcafee site in several weeks; therefore, I may not be able to re-install the program. Let me ponder this a bit.

Wayne
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 12 of 18

I'm curious, was the manual update succesfull ? On my machine, current DAT 5469.

Thinking this through shouldn't hurt.

But the way I see it: you can't go on like this.
If uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee does not work, then, for as far as I can understand, your system has been corrupted, or you are infected.
In which case, aside from asking for help with removing malware manually, like posting a Hijackthis log at, for example, Castlecops, the only solution would appear to be reformatting your harddrive and reinstalling everything. If you don't know how to do that, make sure you have someone who can assist you with this, it can be tricky sometimes.

Just as an afterthought: do you have an account at McAfee directly, or does it go via Dell or some other company ? That may make a difference.
WBLewis
Former Member
Message 13 of 18

DAT is 5450. I have an account directly with Mcafee.

Yes, you're probably right about going ahead and deleting Mcafee.

Wayne
WBLewis
Former Member
Message 14 of 18

Since I am not able to access any site that contains the word "Mcafee." Therefore, I cannot access the Mcafee Consumer Products Removal tool. Now what?

What
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 15 of 18

That's a tough one.

I think you're probably infected.

You could phone McAfee and ask them to email you the program, not the link.

But if you can't access a site with 'McAfee': how were you planning to reinstall it ???

If antimalware programs don't work, it would seem that reformatting your harddrive and reinstalling everything is your best option.
WBLewis
Former Member
Message 16 of 18

I attempted to download the Cleaner last night but could not access the site. I think you're right about reformatting. Thanks for all your help.

Wayne
williamkidd
Former Member
Message 17 of 18

WB,
If you haven't already started the process of reformatting then see if you can surf to http://www.spywarehammer.com. This sometimes works even if you aren't able to get to some of the more well-known sites, like castlecops and bleepingcomputer. Also, try to do it while you are using safe mode + networking (F8 at startup). Just curious though, how were you able to get to this forum? Are you using a different computer to access this site?
WBLewis
Former Member
Message 18 of 18

Yes. I can surf to that site but will it provide any information that I haven't gotten previously? I am accessing this site using my Mac.

Wayne
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community