Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lanikailover
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

firewall: off or on??

Hi - newbie to the group here.

I have SecurityCenter 2010 on my Acer laptop. 

When I open the home screen it indicates that my Firewall is turned ON.

When I click to see the settings the screen says that my firewall is OFF and gives me the two options of Restore Defults or Turn On

When I do nothing and go back to the home screen I see that the firewall is ON again. 

Anybody know what's up?  I would love to solve this problem because I think it may be hindering my abiltiy to set up a homegroup with my desktop.  grr!

Thanks in advance!!!!

david

3 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

Re: firewall: off or on??

Hi David,

This sometimes occurs if the PC has remnants of a different security software in some rare cases, Please follow the below steps and update us the outcome ;

Run McAfee virtual technician from here : http://mvt.mcafee.com

Also let us know what would be the operating system in the PC.

Did you previously have any other security software installed on  the PC ?

Regards,

solis
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

I am also experiencing the exact same problem, when I ran Virtual Technician it said three files were missing but did not list them

So I ran Winpatrol and noticed 3 files in the services tab which did not have icons:-

mfefire.exe > McAfee Firewall Core Srvice

mcshield.exe > McAfee McShield

mfevtps.exe > McAfee Validtion Trust Protection

Dinz, if the three files that are missing, could it possibly be the ones which did not McAfee icons against the files, and if yes can the above files be separately downloaded and added in someway to the program.

I checked the Services Dependencies ::::

McAfee Firewall Core Service requires ...

- McAfee Validation Trust Protection requires

- McAfe Inc. mfehidk

components needed > McAfee Firewall Core

- anti-spam service

- network agent

- proxy service

McAfee McShield requires ...

McAfee Validation Trust Protection requires ...

- McAfe Inc. mfehidk

McAfee Validation Trust Protection requires ...

- McAfe Inc. mfehidk

components needed > McAfee Firewall Core

- anti-spam service

- network agent

- proxy service

I'm at a lost at the moment, this problem happened after I had to reinstall Total Protection because the subscription date referenced the old McAfee software. I reinstalled Total Protection twice today and Firewall tabs are still greyed out but was enabled before the subscription date went out of sync.

Should I have disabled/uninstalled Spybot Search & Destroy during Total Protection installation, as it was the only software that came up as a conflict and I bypass it and continued with the installation !

Message was edited by: solis on 10/8/11 11:22:43 AM CDT

Message was edited by: solis on 10/8/11 12:02:20 PM CDT
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

Hi solis,

We have answered on your original thread here : Please continue there. https://community.mcafee.com/message/211685

Cheers,

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community