cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
najevi
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

export AV exceptions and FW program permissions to a text file

I have an active subscription to McAfee SecurityCenter and I have been using the antivirus and firewall for just over 5 years on my Dell inspiron 17Rse running Windows 10.

I am however, aware that Windows Defender has matured in that time and so before my McAfee subscription expires (around this time next year) I wish to "kick the tyres" on that free alternative.

To make this trial migration as painless as possible I'd like to save two lists to a text file:

1. The list of files/folders the antivirus component has been told to not scan
  2. The list of program permissions the firewall component has been told to not block

Is this possible?

If so, is there a set of instructions you can refer me to? 

Of course the GUI allows me to view both lists but that GUI is also extremely slow to load each list and, once loaded, the list is cumbersome to scroll and impossible to sort by field/column content.

Regards,

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
1 Reply
najevi
Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: export AV exceptions and FW program permissions to a text file

Well, I decided to just bite the bullet and rebuild white/black lists as I go.

So far no terrible hassles with Windows Defender security tools.

Am finding that PowerShell commands are tidier to work with than GUI but that may just be for the initial learning curve. 

I'd still be  grateful to learn an answer to my question above.

Regards 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community