cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hopeless1
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

antivirus plus 2011 with site advisor problem

I posted this problem in the site advisor section but got no real help. Running Windows XP service pack 3, Dell Inspiron 530.  I access the internet through Verizon FIOS wireless connection with Router.

When I previously had site advisor 3.2.0.152 in Antivirus Plus 2010 and 2011,  I had no problems writing and responding to emails on Verizon webmail.  Then Site Advisor updated to 3.3.0.176 and now to 3.3.1.129  the problems with Verizon webmail started. Writing and responding to emails is hobbled by a scripting error.

Everytime I click on compose or reply in my verizon email I get a long pause and then a Windows Explorer Dialog Box is displayed that says "Stop running this Script?  A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive."  choices are yes and no. If I click yes, I am able to compose or reply again.

So it's not stopping me from using my email, but just wasting a lot of my time.

Discussions about this problem say that  by disabling the BHO and Site Advisor, the problem is fixed. and for me this is True.

Can anyone tell me why Verizon, or McAfee, or Site Advisor, or Microsoft Internet Explorer 8  aren't taking responsibility for this Bug?

I blame Site Advisor updates, because they are the only thing new in my computer at the moment and the problem started with 3.3.0.176 and was not fixed with the recent update 3.3.1.129.

The Verizon tech set my IE back to default, but that didn't help, it caused more problems instead, which I have finally fixed myself.

Site Advisor seems not to address the problem at all, and no announcements about it from McAfee either.

I hate to disable Site Advisor as I enjoy surfing the net and feeling safer than without it , but I have to respond to business emails and send some of my own which takes presidence.   Right now I'm ping ponging between site advisor disabled for emails and enabled for surfing the net. (but this requires a reboot between enabling and disabling) which is another waste of my time

11 Replies
newjack
Former Member
Message 2 of 12

Re: antivirus plus 2011 with site advisor problem

I have had recent problems with site sdvisor updating myself.As far as the E-mail portion I have not.Just a thought if you dont recieve any other answers for this.The new release of IE9 came out last week.Not sure if this would help.Since this sounds like a site advisor thing in your case.Also have you run Mcafee virtual Tech top of this page (useful links) then click tech support.Run Mvt and see if anything is missing.

hopeless1
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

I had tried the MVT and tech support before I posted this time, and no help there. Probably because it's just a problem with Verizon email.

friedrichcj
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

I recently switched from Norton to McAfee.  My (same) issue began after I installed McAfee.  If It is not resolved by Virtual Technician, I am going to seek a refund.

newjack
Former Member
Message 5 of 12

Well,It seems like there is a site advisor problem.I know that I have had some problems and looking at other posts there are others.I think I read somewhere they were working on it.

friedrichcj
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

I disabled all McAfee internet add-ons and my mail works fine now.  I should not have to do this . . .

newjack
Former Member
Message 7 of 12

I agree.The only other thing I could suggest if you want to try.Go to control panal and click on uninstall program.Highlight Mcafee and click uninstall.A Mcafee pop window will give you an option to uninstall the entire security center or just site advisor.Check site advisor and uninstall.reboot then reinstall site advisor.This may or may not work for you depending on your problem.Mine is working after reinstall.

william2455lane
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

I had the same problem with IE 8 on computer runnign windows 7 Home Premium. Disabled site advisor and problem went away.

william2455lane
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Just tried using IE 9 on Windows 7 Ultimate. Problem still exists. Had to disable site advisor.

hopeless1
Former Member
Message 10 of 12

Hello ~ so it isn't just a Windows XP problem then.  Sorry to hear we both have to disable site advisor ~ someone at McAfee or Site Advisor ought to look into this problem...but they don't seem interested, do they?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community