cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
galahad1313
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

annoying pop-up about Protecting my digital life

I keep getting this annoying pop-up on my other, win7 computer and it drives me crazy!. The heading is, as the title states "protect your digital life" along with a long blurb and options to remind me later or get protected. I've been using Mcafee on that computer for a long time and this only started a few months ago. When it happens even if I click remind me later to get rid of it or right click & close the window manually, it comes back a few seconds later. When it pops up it always crashes my google browser if it's active, slows down my Firefox browser and slows my entire machine to a crawl. Rebooting from scratch or restarting sometimes gets rid of it and sometimes even after doing that. it comes back. Some days it never shows up at all. What is this nonsense? a bugged Mcafee pop-up? something Microsoft did?(what haven't  they done the last year), an attempted hack if I choose the get protected option? If not how do I stop it from ever showing up again.

Thnx for your patience reading this long post

5 Replies
Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 6

Re: annoying pop-up about Protecting my digital life

Hi @galahad1313 

We sorry for the inconvenience. Kindly let us know whether it is showing from your browser or with in the UI. If the prompt is coming from browser ensure you check and disable all unwanted extensions from your chrome browser. 

Also Kindly share some screenshots to proceed further on this. 

Regards

Magesh J

carehart
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I can clarify: it's a popup of its own, outside any browser. If you use alt-tab (in Windows), it shows the window name as "WebAdvisor Toast". 

The frustrating thing is that there are only the two choices: "remind me later" or "get protected". What if we don't want the protection AND don't want to be reminded later? I have to respond to it far too often for my liking (haven't discerned what that interval is, and I do run multiple machines).

To be clear, I do NOT have WebAdvisor or any McAfee extensions or add-ons in the browsers I am running on this machine where the popup just happened (Edge Chromium and FF).

And sure, I could uninstall WebAdvisor entirely (it IS listed in "add or remove programs"), but I have not minded that it showed itself assessing downloaded files. Sure, I have Defender on as well, but having two checks is not a terrible idea.

I am merely lamenting (like the OP here) the fact that we get this popup once in a while which has no option to say "please don't ask me anymore". Make sense, Magesh?

nitrous
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

removed McAfee.... UI has a red chevron asking me to "Get Protected" or "remind me later"

Do I need to file a complaint as spam?  Is that how you want to run your business?  OK, fair enough.

Just let us know officially that the lack of "don't remind me again" (more to the point - don't bother me again) 

How do I kill this BS?

docd
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Here's the annoying pop up.

Still happening in 2022

SpeedSki
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

to disable: 

open Windows Services (hit windows logo key then type services to open) > right mouse click McAfee WebAdvisor > click Properties > set Startup type to Disabled > then click Stop > click Apply > problem solved.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community