cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddavis400
Former Member
Message 21 of 43

Re: Your computer is not protected

Ok, ran the Super Anti Spyware and the Malwarebytes scans.  Super showed nothing wrong, but Malware shows two registry files that appears to tell McAfee to disable even after I had recently run "Fix" to turn things back on.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify

Message was edited by: ddavis400 on 11/9/09 7:21 PM
Peacekeeper
Message 22 of 43

Unsure here will point our admin to comment whether these keys are supposed to be there

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/9/09 8:33 PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 43

ddavis400 wrote:

Ok, ran the Super Anti Spyware and the Malwarebytes scans.  Super showed nothing wrong, but Malware shows two registry files that appears to tell McAfee to disable even after I had recently run "Fix" to turn things back on.

Those refer to Windows Security Center and are linked with any warnings it displays should either be disabled or missing etc.

BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 24 of 43

Ex_Brit wrote:

ddavis400 wrote:

Those refer to Windows Security Center and are linked with any warnings it displays should either be disabled or missing etc.

Yes,

I agree with Ex_brit, this issue may occur due to Malware/Root kit infection in the system.

Let me check with support team, they will follow up with you.

Grif
Former Member
Message 25 of 43

Ddavis,

Those two registry items can also be enabled/disabled by opening the Control Panel-Security Center icon, then click on the "Change the way Security Center Alerts Me" on the left side of the screen, then UNCHECK those boxes. Unchecking the boxes stops the Windows shield warning nag that shows up in the lower right system tray.. When UNCHECKED, Malwarebytes and other tools will notify you of the "supposed" vulnerability.. As with most spyware removal tools, there is usually an option to ignore such detections IF you want to leave it that way.. Or you can choose to "fix" the issue and simply RE-CHECK the boxes mentioned.

In my case, I see those two registry detections frequently simply because I disable the Windows shield warning nag.. Setting Malwarebytes to "ignore" those detections stops them from showing up again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Message was edited by: Grif on 11/10/09 8:54 AM
GlindaDF
Former Member
Message 26 of 43

That was my post you were reading, and as I already indicated, I have used it repeatedly with varying results.

Yesterday, I tried, once again, uninstall and reinstall of Total Protection package.  Finally the complete package was installed without any error codes appearing.  BUT....now Internet Explorer denies me access to the internet ( although online connection is present.  It says that I either don't have authorizaation (although I'm the administrator), or it can't find the file path. 

Here's a couple problem reports that show APPCRASH

Product

XPSViewer.exe

Problem

Stopped working

Date

11/9/2009 12:51 PM

Status

Not Reported

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: XPSViewer.exe

Application Version: 3.0.6920.4000

Application Timestamp: 498d25b9

Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18005

Fault Module Timestamp: 49e037dd

Exception Code: 0000002b

Exception Offset: 0003fbae

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0baa

Additional Information 2: 0124b7ac776034c48b6b02c1865df171

Additional Information 3: 15f2

Additional Information 4: 0cd861a473f6a77bd38e769e9cde95cd

GlindaDF
Former Member
Message 27 of 43

"Your Computer is not protected"
11/8/2009
I'm having real trouble with my Security Center product. I renewed my subscription to 3-User McAfee Total Protection in early October. Now, for the last week for no apparent reason it tells me I'm Not Protected for Computer & Files and E-mail & IM.  It says Action Required!  But when I click Fix, it initially does fix.  But as soon as I do anything (check my email or go online again) it says I'm not protected again.  I've used Virtual Technician to fix it, sometimes it says it is fixed, but reverts to the same behavior as soon as I do anything.  Or the Virtual technician does not fix it.  Over the last couple days I've reinstalled the Total Protection package at least 5 times.  But after each installation some part of the package is missing (Spam killer, or Virus Scan, etc).  I've used McAfee for years and have never had problems like this. 

I am not looking forward to speaking to a representative - I've been through that nightmare with hardware techs whose accents are so thick I can't understand them, and I don't have hours to stay on the phone or have them not call me back when asked.  Been there - done that with hardware support people. 

I am running an HP Pavillion dv9500 laptop with Vista Home Premium ( 32 bit ). I can't get anything done, and I'm afraid to deal with my email or transact any business online (although Internet & Network has been saying it is protected).

Right now "Computer & Files" and "E-mail & IM" says "the detection signature is more than 30 days old" and "Some components are missing.  Please reinstall McAfee VirusScan."  I've done this repeatedly with continued problems.

11/10/2009
Yesterday, I tried, once again, uninstall and reinstall of Total Protection package.  Finally the complete package was installed without any error codes appearing.  BUT....now Internet Explorer denies me access to the internet ( although online connection is present.  It says that I either don't have authorization (although I'm the administrator), or it can't find the file path....

I've attached a couple problem reports that show APPCRASH.

Please help,

GlindaDF

Peacekeeper
Message 28 of 43

joolsmeister  any contact yet from Mcafee ?

At least my stirring has attracted attention

re xps viewer that should not affect IE so I would firstly reset IE to defaults check the firewall hasn't blocked IE rare for this to occur and

To reinstall, you need to go into your Control Panel and select Turn Windows
Features on or off. Under xps viewer u will see it is selected Remove it, let it uninstall, and then reinstall it.

See if any others  can read anything into this occurrence

on 11/10/09 3:04 PM
mlisney
Former Member
Message 29 of 43

Hello,

I had the exact same problem over the last couple of weeks. I was with tech for hours, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. They finally "took over" my computer and removed Internet Browser 8 and it resolved the problem. Of course now I can't have an updated browser, and I have to deal with the Windows "New Updates" Icon prompting me to install version8. Am still trying to get tech to resolve the issue so that I can install the latest browser. Very frustrating!

Mod - I deleted your duplicate post no need to post same to each poster

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/10/09 7:42 PM
joolsmeister
Former Member
Message 30 of 43

Hello Folks,

Well after weeks of tooing and froing still NO adequete explanation from McAfee . Had ANOTHER member of the so-called escalation team go through my computer downloading various logs and such....Had a phone call yesterday from them.....and......THEY TOLD ME I WOULD HAVE TO RE-FORMAT MY COMPUTER!!!!!!.....I have never heard such a load of nonsense in my life!!!. Apparently there is a problem with my microsoft outlook and adobe reader, which is affecting the WHOLE of my OS and this is causing McAfee to shut down various parts.

Now microsoft outlook has had problems in the past but this was due to the account settings, so frankly i cant see how account settings that were causing problems but that are now fixed are affecting my WHOLE operating system. The same goes for Adobe Acrobat reader. Its not as if i have a pirate copy of it .....Its bloody free to download. It updates itself constantly so always has the latest version. It does crash now and again but this is usually down to the very large drawing's i get due to my line of work.....

This is now totally not acceptable...By the sound of it i think they dont have a clue whats causing it so they come up with a complete cock and bull story of how Outlook and Acro Reader is causing my whole OS to fall over....which in turn is causing the problem with McAfee.

I explained i had NEVER had a problem with my OS ( apart form it being made by microsoft and it being possibly the worst OS ever conceived, Vista ), and it had certainly never caused issues with any other programs that i use.

I tried saying to this chap that i had been on these forums and had noticed that not only was there a few people posting on the thread i had started, but there seemed to be quite a few other threads with exactly the same problem....

I tried explaining to the tech on the phone ( who i ended up getting into a fairly heated argument with ) that McAfee crashes of its own accord, with no other programs running. I even ended all task string's and had the computer running with essential stuff only and McAfee STILL decided to turn of the same components as always..

So for all of you out there with the same problem as me the ONLY solution to this problem is to take a couple of nights to back up you're computer ( and by the way my computer is not even 1 YEAR old ), bring you're duvet through to the front room and spend a couple of night's RE-FORMATTING your computer, according to the "escalation team" at McAfee. Brilliant, just brilliant......

I have now given up with McAfee and will be contacting one of the executive support team and asking for a Refund. I will now not be using anymore McAfee products and will be removing it completly from my computer.. Shame really as i have always used McAfee products, but i feel as though i have been given a complete run around from start to finish with this, and they have never given a damn.

I will be copying this message and sending it to one of the only people at McAfee who seemed to take an interest. I will not disclose the name or contact details as that would be petty and highly counter productive.

Any other ideas from you folks would be great, I plan on removing McAfee in the next week so if there is something else you good people suggest i do you got 7 days..

Best Regards

Jools Hodgson

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community