cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flamparter
Former Member
Message 21 of 40

Same Problem-- Recurring Unprotected Message

AS of yesterday, 7/29, I now repeatedly get warnings that anti-virus and email protection are disabled; Using "Fix" works temporarily, but the problem returns. MVT scan reports no problems; file scan also clean. MacAfee rep said to uninstall/download/reinstall entire program, but problem returned immediately. Do we just wait for a fix?
Wuggy
Former Member
Message 22 of 40

My Two Cents

My machines did the same thing several times yesterday and today, with notifications that computer is Not Protected, delay in "Checking System Connection" prior to Update, and all services working again temporarily after clicking the "Fix" button. The pattern has been the same regardless of whether the user is an Administrator or not.

McAfee Virtual Technician just told me VirusScan 3-User McAfee Internet Security 13.3.127 is out of date. There, I just updated it and ran MVT again and it now shows no errors.

If the problem recurs, I will post here, else I assume the problem is fixed for my system.

REFERENCE LINK for users to access McAfee Virtual Technician (click blue "Continue' button near cent...

For reference, my SecurityCenter is 9.3.162. VirusScan DAT is 5693.000 created 30/07/2009 Engine Version 5301.4018. I run XPSP2.

Thank you to the McAfee Experts for the prompt updates. It's reassuring to know this is just a minor thing, soon to go away. 🙂

Brgds
MikeW
Contributor
Message 23 of 40

RE: My Two Cents

With 5693 this morning, touch-wood it's working ok again.

Good to see I wasn't going mad yesterday then happy
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 40

RE: Thank You

Let's hope so. Good luck.
flamparter
Former Member
Message 25 of 40

Your Computer is Not Protected

Thanks to you and nice to see several responses to my first forum query.

I resolved my problem late last night by properly doing another full McAfee uninstall/download/reinstall procedure. It had failed the first time because I didn't then know about and therefore didn't use the MCPR2.exe file removal tool, (along with Windows program uninstall). I'll know better from now on.

Even so, it's worrisome that the MVT tool did not produce any discrepancies after my first, unsuccessful uninstall/reinstall-- even though the random disabling of real time virus scan and email screening recurred. (MVT had shown two problems before I took any corrective action whatsoever.) So I don't know exactly what was wrong; the tech rep had thought it was a conflict between overwritten, earlier McAfee versions.

Anyway, nothing beats "starting over"-- as long as it works!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 40

RE: Your Computer is Not Protected

Glad you are OK now
takman0
Former Member
Message 27 of 40

Seems okay now

I stayed off the computer to give the McAfee folks time to fix the problem, I came back on yesterday and got update 5694 (they did 5693 and 5694 obviously while I was gone). I ran an on-demand full scan and everything stayed enabled and okay, it ran a scheduled scan this morning and I ran another on-demand full scan after I updated and it loaded 5695 (yes, the update button works too). All seems okay, knock wood, it had been a while since I had a problem (and had to reinstall), hope this one lasts a while too.

I'm hearing about another problem now with folks having their scan freeze or give error messages before completing, a couple folks mentioned they have Vista. I'm running XP and have not had this particular problem. Again, knock wood, but that's why I ran the update (and got 5695) to see if it would happen to me (luckily it didn't).
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 40

RE: Seems okay now

Sounds good.
redfooted
Former Member
Message 29 of 40

I'm still having this problem with 5695.

Vista Home Premium x64 SP2
SecurityCenter - 9.11.109
VirusScan - 13.11.102
DAT - 5695.0000
Engine - 5301.4018

MVT gives no problems. This is after Uninstall->MCPR->Reinstall->Update.

Event log is:

Faulting application mcods.exe, version 13.11.102.0, time stamp 0x4a047c04, faulting module mscan64a.dll, version 5.300.0.2777, time stamp 0x486bbc99, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0000000000166de9, process id 0x458, application start time 0x01ca1310d848f01f.

Specifically, McAfee's virus scan (on-access or manual) fails on the file "GameMon.des", which is part of GameGuard. This comes with the Aion program (closed beta opened yesterday, Fri 7/29). If I completely remove GameMon.des from my machine, the errors disappear (and full system scans complete successfully).

The problem is triggered when:
- The GameMon.des file is scanned (individually).
- A full system scan encounters the GameMon.des file.
- The on-access scan encounters the GameMon.des file.

When the on-access scan fails, the event log is shows a fault from mcshield.exe.

Previously (around July 17), McAfee quarantined GameMon.des (false positive). This is understandable. However, the scanner now completely fails on the file (and becomes disabled), which isn't ok.

The problem started yesterday (7/31). My system is updated/scanned daily. However, GameMon.des was removed around 7/17 and re-added 7/31 due to the start of the Aion beta. This makes it difficult to pinpoint the date (between 7/17 and 7/31) that the problem actually started.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 30 of 40

Then I would suggest contacting Technical Support Chat, it's free & they are open 24/7. Link at top left of this page or in my signature.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community