cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
takman0
Former Member
Message 11 of 40

Computer not protected, multiple "disabled"

As of last night, July 29, I had the exact same problem. All I did was start my computer, went to do a manual update so I could run a scan, and I got the red cross errors that my computer was not protected. Everything was perfect the day/days/weeks/months before, no new software or changes to system were made.

Clicked fix, everything went "green" again but reverted to disabled when I clicked update again. I also got a lingering message that I had never seen before after I clicked update, it said "checking internet connection" or something like that, it held there for a minute or so, then updated, then everything was disabled.

I called AT&T help (I have McAfee SC through ATT/SBC high speed), went through 2 first level techs. The first took virtual control of my PC, loaded the virtual technician, ran it, 1 error fix, 1 unfixable, ended up being my VS disabled. She went to VS config, clicked enable, it took and she said everything was fixed. I asked if she would click on update to test it again, she did and it went back to disabled. She said she had to refer me to 2nd level tech, but inadvertently connected me with another 1st level tech who went through the exact same steps (and had the same "playwritten" comments and responses). Same-o same-o with the second 1st level tech, who then put me on hold (again) and connected me with 2nd level.

2nd level tech sent me an email with a patch for update, that did nothing, ran virtual tech again, did some "ping" test from a DOS prompt, said I was good to go, asked him again to wait while I clicked update, it happened again, nothing was fixed, he said it must be my internet connection and to try again tomorrow. If not fixed, to call back (he said I'd have to do the 1st level tech routine again).

In all 3 cases, I asked if they were receiving similar calls about this type of problem or if they were made aware of any McAfee issues. All 3 denied, said I was the only one, ultimately I was told the problem was unique to me and must be my internet connection, suggesting I call my AT&T subscriber and get them to change my connection settings or something. Yet another wasted 2 hours with techs who I always seem to have trouble understanding as well due to strong accents, that's frustrating and leaving after 2 hours with no fix other than to try tomorrow. Seems like one suggestion they always give (but didn't last night for some reason), is to uninstall and reinstall the product...that seems to be a stock answer that puts the problem on you and your computer and not an overall software or IT issue.

Anyone know what or when McAfee is going to do about this? It's very apparent their update for 7/29/09 did it; I was updated through 7/28 (evening) with no issues, this all happend when I started my computer last night (7/29/09) and updated.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 40

RE: Computer not protected, multiple "disabled"

As I said they are aware of it and we are only too painfully aware of it. We were hoping it was dealt with in the latest general Sec. Center update. We were told that was the case.

If anyone reading this is at less than v9.3 you should update a.s.a.p. even if it means uninstalling, using the MCPR tool, rebooting and reinstalling.
pcguy6620
Former Member
Message 13 of 40

McAfee Broke on 07/29/09 too!

Yes, but as takman0 said, it only happened on my computer with McAfee's update on 07/29. I am running 9.3.162. Is there a newer version?

Just to reiterate, my virus shield will not stay running and McAfee Virtual Technician is unable to fix it. If this is not fixed soon, good-bye McAfee FOREVER. This is completely unacceptable for an update.:mad:
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 40

RE: McAfee Broke on 07/29/09 too!

I sympathize. I added some words to me post above...anyone less than v9.3 should update.
pcguy6620
Former Member
Message 15 of 40

How do I update to 9.11? The autoupdater says 9.3 is up to date. Could you post a link to the update or tell me how to find it? Thanks.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 40

Ignore that, I altered that.

This from a tech 5 minutes ago..

Yesterday’s DAT File 5692 is causing the Consumer On Access Scanner to become disabled. This appears to be a Scanner Thread Time Out issue which would be related to a driver that is taking a LONG time to scan a file. This issue resulted in customers receiving the “Am I Protected? NO” message which has increased Support contact volume considerably.

AVERT is trying to release the new DATs at the earliest possible time. The new DAT is expected to resolve this issue.

pcguy6620
Former Member
Message 17 of 40

Thank You

Thank you for your insight and assistance.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 40

RE: Thank You

You're welcome. Let's hope it's solved soon.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 19 of 40

People affected with this,

Reboot and update McAfee and verify that you have DAT 5693 and that the issue is resolved.
pcguy6620
Former Member
Message 20 of 40

I have DAT 5693 but I still have the issue. Do I need to unistall and reinstall?

[Edit: Ok, it looks like it is fixed now.]
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community