cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danii
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Would McAfee delay in removing a trojan?

Jump to solution

Hi Folks,

Something odd happend ove the last several days.

My browsing (Firefox) and e-mail (Windows mail) had serious latency and instability which never happened before.

After a few days of this a McAfee window came up in the lower right hand corner and said "A trojan has been removed"

After this everything was back to normal on my computer.

Why would it have taken several days for McAfee to remove this thing that was obviously the problem?

Thanks for response ....trying to stay safe.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Re: Would McAfee delay in removing a trojan?

Jump to solution

I'm only speculating but it most likely was originally submitted to the labs as suspicious without you knowing and finally labelled dangerous.

Any name for the trojan?

View solution in original post

10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

I'm only speculating but it most likely was originally submitted to the labs as suspicious without you knowing and finally labelled dangerous.

Any name for the trojan?

Danii
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

Thanks  for that answer that would explain it.

I have had that happen before about a year ago, and wondered why it took time.....that one like this one this week when removed I was back to normal.

Where can I look to see what was removed? If removed would it be in quarantine? I would like to let people know what it was.

Thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

Double-click the taskbar icon (or right-click) to open SecurityCenter

Dismiss any notices

Click Navigation at top right

Scroll down the list to Quarantined and Trusted Items

There you can delete them if you wish.

If there are many sometimes that process sticks, if that happens I can post instructions on the manual deletion of said items.

Danii
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

When I go to that window in security center  the "Quaratined potenially unwanted program" tab freezes my computer when clicked.

When I go to just "Quarantined" items tab the readings for the last few days since the problem are:

MUABQAVL.EXE.PART 4/13

L5FY6U+M.EXE.PART 4/13

L5FY6U+.EXE.PART 4/14

MUABQAVL.EXE.PART 4/14

PLUGIN-GZAQILBOGMDVDQE.PHP 4/14

These are the readings with the date after them I'm presuming the last one is the trojan?

Hope this helps, Thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

The reason that 'drawer' froze is that VirusScan used to constantly quarantine tracking cookies (which often number in the thousands), which aren't really harmful, so that practise has now been stopped although there is still a setting for it, it no longer applies.   To unfreeze everything and clear out those 'drawers' you can manually clean everything out as follows.

First double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation (top right)

Click General Settings & Alerts (left)

Click Access Protection to expand that section

Uncheck Access Protection and click Apply

Leave SecurityCenter open on your desktop because you should re-enable Access Protection after the following steps.

Go to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine and click Edit/Select All

Click Shift and Delete simultaneously and the folder should empty.

Take care to delete only the contents of that folder, not the folder itself.

Re-enable Access Protection as mentioned above and click Apply and then exit SecurityCenter.

Those instructions are for Vista/Windows 7. 

For XP the folder is found at:  C:\Documents & Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Virusscan

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

I would run a scan with the FREE version of THIS tool to make sure...update before running and do not accept the trial if offered, the free version is the best one to keep.

More tools mentioned here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

Danii
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

Thanks, Ex_Brit,

I have and run Malwarebytes for over a year now (free version, and almost a year for Superantispyware pro (paid version).

Funny how I can run a McAfee scan and be clear and then immedietely run MB and it will find something, then run SA pro and it will find something else.

I scan with McAfee and Superantispyware frequently as they are scheduled.....I have to remembert to scan with MB as it is free and not scheduled.

I guess this is the world we live in that no one thing will get it all, and as we go further into doing business online (banking, bill paying, buying etc.) we have to be extremely vigilant.

I worry about my B of A bank account as its my only bank account online. Also Paypal, as I shop a lot online. How worried should I be about logging into them?

Thanks for all the help.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

If you ever get one of those bugs that takes over your desktop, even momentarily, time to change all your passwords for everything, in your computer, your email and your online accounts.   I've had to do it from time to time.   Probably unnecessary as I never click anything at all when those things hit, not even the X to get rid of it.   I power off and go into Safe Mode and initiate System Restore.   Even then though I take the cautious route and change everything.

By the way it isn't surprising that different software finds different things,   -  A quote from one of the lead developers of MalwareBytes (Bruce Harrison) over at their forums :

As far as why MBAM is very good at dealing with this infection, that is simple. MBAM is designed to be very good at dealing with malware that the AVs seem to be having problems with. I do not spend my time making MBAM detect millions of infections that any decent AV already detects as MBAM is DESIGNED to work alongside antivirus software, not replace it.  A huge chunk of the research that goes into MBAM revolves around what we see making it into HJT threads as the vast majority of these threads involve antivirus software that was in some way bypassed.

Lets settle this now and avoid any further misinformation. MBAM is now a very good backup to any antivirus software and will only get better in the future. MBAM will NEVER add antivirus abilities to its core app and is always advised to be used WITH antivirus software. We actually get this question a lot in the forums and I assure you that we always say :

"No, MBAM can't replace your existing antivirus software and is not designed to."

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/04/12 9:00:58 EDT PM
Danii
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

Thank You

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community