cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dexter56
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Won't update unless in safe mode

Has anyone had this problem?   I'm using total protection 2011.  The updates fail to install unless  I am in safe mode.  My user profile has adminitrative priveledges.

I have to re-start my computer each week, start in safe mode with networking, check for updates and install if any.  This is annoying.  I'm not sure what's with this version, but I've had nothing but trouble.  I've re-installed a couple times, but this requires I download the program each time ....time consuming.  Help!

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Won't update unless in safe mode

Moved to SecurityCenter.  This shouldn't happen. What is your operating system and service pack and how do you connect to the Internet?

Have you had anything else acting strangely?

I think your best approach would be to ask Technical Support directly.  It's a free phone call or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/01/12 1:06:39 EST PM
Dexter56
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Boy, that was quick!  I'm running Windows XP SP3.  I didn't have this problem with the last version of Total Protection.  I updated to the new product in August.  It failed to in-stall properly so I contacted tech support for help.  We re-intalled and it worked fine for a short while.

I have contacted Technical support, we unistalled McAfee and I downloaded and re-installed ( x 2).  It worked for a couple of updates on both occations and then started to act strangely again.

I connect to the internet via satelite.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

That's strange especially as I was under the impression that it wouldn't update in Safe Mode anyway.  Try contacting Tech Support again and ask for an escalation on the last case ID they gave you.

Safe Mode has no internet access, Safe Mode with Networking does, but even then I don't think it will work.  Are you sure we are talking about the same thing - the mode available from a special menu that comes up when you tap F8 repeatedly while booting up?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/01/12 2:53:30 EST PM
Dexter56
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for your help.   I'll contact support again for help, although, they always have me uninstall and re-install.

We are talking about the same thing.  Tapping F8 while starting the computer > Safe Mode with Networking.   I right click on the McAfee icon and pick check for updates ( DAT files).

From here, it checks, updates and installs just fine.   This will be the Virus updates most likely.  I don't believe the security centre functions in safe mode, but it will update.

Virtual technician will also update the DAT files in Safe mode (with networking) but it cannot start other functions

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Well I live and I learn as they say; that updates work in that mode.   The only thing I can think of is that your user name is corrupted, whether by infection or by the use of registry cleaners perhaps?   Can you update in another user name with Administrative authority?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 8

If support repeat the uninstall/reinstall advice I will alert the support people we use internally and see if they can offer advice here.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Also could you open SecurityCenter and click 'About" and tell me the version numbers and Affid please?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community