Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Texan4Life
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Windows XP pro.<br /> amd

Windows XP pro.
amd 2ghz, 1GB ram

Problem: After installing mcafee and then restarting after downloading updates it somehow disables my network connections. When I click on networking tab in the windows task manager is say "no active network adapters" Yet when I check device manager is shows my NIC working properly. When I go to network connection and double click on LAN the status says "connected" with 0 bytes sent and received. Also my dialup internet no longer works.

I'm going from norton internet security 2008 to mcafee internet security 2009. I uninstalled norton, and then used their cleanup/uninstall utility that was suggested to others on the forum. reinstalled mcafee, same thing. Then i use the mcafee uninstall utility mcpr.exe reboot and then tried installing again. Installed fine, downloaded updates everything working, then I restarted per update request. and then windows starts really slow (like an extra 2 min) before showing icons. And then nothing network/internet related works.

I went into the service and the windows/firewall and internet connection sharing service is not running, and when I try and manually start it it has an error. and a upnp service is also not running, that normally when are running mcafee isnt installed. I share my connection using ICS.

unistalled and reinstalled once again. this time I choose the downloading from internet option thinking that might help. nope that didn't work either, same thing.

any help would be much appreciated.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I have tried disabling the firewall and other features and nothing gets it working again unless I uninstall it.
Labels (1)
2 Replies
Texan4Life
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

RE: Windows XP pro.<br /> amd

Anyone have any ideas??
lesaus
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Same problem with Total Protection download

I upgraded to the latest version of Total Protection. The inital download went fine. But, when after rebooting it (McAfee) said that it could not find an internet connection. I followed (clicked on) the message and was guided to Windows Firewall. I had to turn off Windows Firewall in order to continue with the upgrade. Now, everytime I boot up, I get an error message telling me that Windows Firewall is turned off.

This problem was caused by the upgrade to Total Protection. What did it change in my system that caused the internet connection to be lost?

Needess to say, I am not happy about this!

Dell XPS 410, 4GB
Vista Home Premium
IE7
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community