Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barrieman
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Windows Explorer Shuts Down After Total Protection Update

Hi!

Almost every time Total Protection does an update Windows Explorer shuts down and then restarts again (after I click restart!).  I'm running Windows 7  64 bit and all my software is up to date.  Virtual Technition also indicates no errors.

Any ideas why Explorer shuts down when Total Protection does an update?

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Windows Explorer Shuts Down After Total Protection Update

The first thing that comes to mind is that maybe you are low on resources - memory or spare disk space?

However, that's a wild guess and the only way of really checking it would be to have Technical Support check it out, it's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Meanwhile try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes any issues:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

You'll have to run it anyway prior to connecting to Technical Support so may as well try it first.

Meanwhile make sure that Windows is totally up to date, including IE - which should be IE11, whether or not you use it as your default browser.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Ex_Brit wrote:

Meanwhile try running the Virtual Technician

He (she?) already did

Virtual Technition also indicates no errors.

Don't forget I'm seeing McAfee updates crash McSvHost, so this might be a similar problem. The first thing to do is to check the Windows Event Logs for System & Application to look for any supporting information. Running sfc /scannow from the command line might also be needed in case any Windows system files have been corrupted.

There's always the uninstall / MCPR / re-install option, as I was reminded 🙂

Crashing Windows Explorer is a major DoS, so until it's fixed perhaps McAfee Automatic Updating should be turned off (which is what I did. I now update at the end of a working session).

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

Sorry, that's me speed reading again.....maybe it's malware-based?   Try running some of the tools in the last link in my signature below, before contacting support.

conductorwho
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Is it due to the McPvNs.dll file, or the DLL being unloaded? It'll say what the faulting module is in the problem report. I'm having a similar issue, and from what I heard they were going to fix the shell extension in question. The last update to File Lock was made back in September from what the "About" window says.

Message was edited by: conductorwho on 11/22/13 6:09:37 PM CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community