cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 1 of 4

Why does a scheduled virus scan always scan networked drives

I have 2 machines networked and both run 24 X 7 with each having it's own scheduled scan three times a week.  Both are 2.4 ghz processor machines (one is dual core) and both have 3-4 gb DDR2 ram. I notice that they take 5 or 6 hours to scan and see that they are scanning each other's drives.  If I do a manual scan I can choose to exclude (networked) drives.  With scheduled scans I don't seem to have this option.  It is unnecessary and is just, along with taking way too much time and hogging the CPU to the point of bringing the machine to it's knees, wearing out hard disk drives.

Real-time scanning allows you to exclude networked drives.

Is there a way to exclude networked drives for scheduled scans?

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Why does a scheduled virus scan always scan networked drives

It's something we have been asking for but unfortunately there is no way of restricting a scheduled scan as one can with a manual one.

It will scan anything it finds, so best disconnect from the network when the scan is in progress or, if that's not possible, scrap the scheduled scan and just do a manual one.

lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 3 of 4

My scans run in the middle of the night so as to have minimal impact.  Finding them still running at 7 AM, when they started at 1 AM, is disconcerting.

I guess, if I am online on scan nights, remembering to do a lock down of the firewall might help.  Alternatively, I could schedule a script to run to disconnect network drives prior to the scans.  (and another one to reconnect afterwards).  I'll give that a try.  Thanks.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Good idea...all the best.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community