cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stewjay
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Why Won't My McAfee Update Launcher Work?

Hi--I'm having the same problem (2 years later!) I'm using McAfee Total Protection on Vista (consumer version). I'm connected to the Internet using DSL. I don't have any other security software installed.

11 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 12

Re: Why Won't My McAfee Update Launcher Work?

Actually this only 2nd post re this in many many years. The other poster did not respond so I would venture to suggest you gather the info asked above ie the OS and contact support as they would have see this previously.http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

I assume you can contact the http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads site ie it is not blocked

on 19/08/12 2:58:30 EDT PM
chrispgh
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

Hi community!

I have been receiving this error message as well for a few days now (the file referenced is mcupdate.exe, which is odd b/c if I try to look for it I cannot find it on my devise).  I have tried contacting Tech Support (Virtual Tech., FAQ, Search --> all no luck; Chat and Phone --> no response; currently waiting back on an email, fingers crossed).  Is there anything else I can do in the interim?

Info:

* Consumer version

* Windows Vista

* Home wireless network

* Not sure if Windows Defender counts, but that is the only one I know of being installed on / used on this computer.

I saw another related post about mcupdate.exe, so in case that information is of any help, here are some copied details from the Windows event log (I tried finding the report in the report archive at the bottom of the message, and it was a WER file <4kb in size that seemed to be empty when I opened/viewed it):

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Windows Error Reporting

Date:          8/18/2012 5:51:34 PM

Event ID:      1001

Task Category: None

Level:         Information

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Description:

Fault bucket 2962132016, type 5

Event Name: BEX

Response: None

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: mcupdate.exe

P2: 11.0.669.0

P3: 4f6a76ae

P4: McRtMui.dll_unloaded

P5: 0.0.0.0

P6: 4ce6e23e

P7: 6dab6260

P8: c0000005

P9: 00000008

P10:

Attached files:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report1fdbaf7d\WERA243.tmp.version.txt

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report1fdbaf7d\WERA254.tmp.appcompat.txt

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report1fdbaf7d\WERA293.tmp.hdmp

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report1fdbaf7d\WERAEA5.tmp.mdmp

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report17781aec

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-08-18T21:51:34.000Z" />

<EventRecordID>98155</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Admin-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>2962132016</Data>

<Data>5</Data>

<Data>BEX</Data>

<Data>None</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>mcupdate.exe</Data>

<Data>11.0.669.0</Data>

<Data>4f6a76ae</Data>

<Data>McRtMui.dll_unloaded</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>4ce6e23e</Data>

<Data>6dab6260</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>00000008</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report1fdbaf7d\WERA243.tmp.version.txt

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report1fdbaf7d\WERA254.tmp.appcompat.txt

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report1fdbaf7d\WERA293.tmp.hdmp

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Report1fdbaf7d\WERAEA5.tmp.mdmp</Data>

<Data>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report17781aec</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

I am concerned something is corrupting my McAfee applications and affecting my computer.  Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Message was edited by: chrispgh on 8/19/12 1:20:14 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 12

As I mentioned best to contact support this only 3rd now post I have seen here re this.

Did you ever have another AV installed not teh ever comment. Any AV needs to be uninstalled by its own removal tool before installing Mcafee. Though running the tool now might work.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 27/08/12 7:36:05 AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 12

Also check the announcement at the top of the main home section:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/

jinjan
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

Actually I'm also having this issue .. just to through my experience into the mix too .. and more or less from the same date as the original poster - i'm constantly getting messages that the update launcher has stopped working, but cant find anyway to remedy it, the Automatic updates is set to automatic, but yet everything is still screaming red.  I will follow the links etc offered, but this is posted here so now that the head count is now 4 ...

jinjan
Former Member
Message 7 of 12

yep, replying to my own post .. so hoping what I found might help the next person

at least for the ordinary home or home office user, there is a McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT) which is downloadable executable file, scans your McAfee product installed, finds the issues, and does its best to resolve them. For me it found 3 problems, it was able to fix 2 which involved having to restart the computer. After restart, ran this MVT scan again, it again found the 1 remaining problem, and this time was able to fix it \o/

dunno what was causing the problems, do I care .. could have been a glitch, conflict of programs, hic-cup in an update, but the main thing is the updated is working, which for a security program is what you want!

here was the link but you can find it if search through McAfee anyhow. Thank you

http://service.mcafee.com/default.aspx?lc=2057

it gives 3 options .. click the 'go to technical support' on the left >>then choice is 'PC/Mac security' or 'Mobile security' and to click the 'start' button for whichever one applies to you (Psst - if you have a computer thats sits on the table in the corner or a laptop, that means click the PC/Mac 'start' button) >> then it will bring you to a page about free techinical support and again to click a 'Start' button, thats ok, it needs to download the file to your computer, so click the 'Start' >> the next screen opens showing that the program will want to install on your computer, again all good, click the 'next' button >> you will need to 'save' it to your computer >> when the download is complete, double click the file in downloads to open it, if in mzoilla, or at the bottom of the screen for IE click Run or Open, whichever it asks >> and also click 'allow' when it asks to install >> once the program is running, it is very straightforward and easy to follow, if it does find problems and can resolve them, it may ask to restart the computer for those fixes to fully work.

sorry that probably all a lot of words, but I would just like to give peace and reassurance to anyone who is less confident on these things

Disclaimer : I'm not in any way an expert at all, at all, at all

gbw
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

I've got the same problem on two pcs - started a few days ago. Also one pc won't talk to the internet.Both Vista. Bet the problem is much more prevelent than the couple of posts here suggest!

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 12

@gbw, @jan1, running MVT will probably fix this. Link to MVT is here.

phebe
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

I have had the same issue with the update launcher stopped working error.  I downloaded the McAfee Virtual Technician over 1/2 hour ago and I'm still waiting to see what comes up.  I recently lost the ability to connect to my wireless so I'm "plugged in" to the router.  Not sure if any of this is related.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community