I am on DAT 7051 that is better still

I received more than just a DAT file update

Message was edited by: ukchrisr on 21/04/13 17:21:51 CDT
prb1948
Contributor III
Message 82 of 89

Re: Where have all the updates gone?

Jump to solution

Just to confirm, my updates worked normally this morning (first time for nearly a week) when running 'Check for updates' manually.

nancydrew
Contributor III
Message 83 of 89

Jump to solution

Having read your post, we tentatively turned on the "computer with the problem" and WOW, we received updates!  It now shows:

DAT Version 7052       21/04/13

Boot DAT Version 7046

Boot DAT Creation date 15/04/13..............Can Ex_Brit or Hayton tell us if  these Boot DAT items are significant? (in that this is the date when we started having problems and 7046 was the DAT version number at the time).

We are still on Security Centre Version 11.6 - presumably we will be upgraded to version 12.1 automatically in due course or we could uninstall/reinstall McAfee with Tech Support help  if we choose to  do so ( A process that even if we got Tech help we are really apprehensive about.)

We will continue to monitor the DAT Versions when we manually check for updates.  In the meantime, THANK YOU to all the Moderators who helped, especially Ex_Brit  and Hayton.  It is the first time that we have thought of joining a Community and we sure started a "conversation"!  

Let's hope McAfee learn from the outpouring of grief in this thread, and related threads, that they ought to be doing a lot more to help customers affected by problems of their making.

ukchrisr
Former Member
Message 84 of 89

Jump to solution

Following on from yesterday, when my SC updated manually.

I have just booted my PC in the UK and within minutes it automatically updated to DAT 7052 (yesterday's I believe). That's the 2nd update it has installed in 12 hours.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 85 of 89

Jump to solution

nancydrew - that boot DAT is not important, it is simply the DAT that is first loaded during the initial stages and is always older than what is finally loaded.

Glad you are OK now.  I can only assume that there were server problems.

Those of you on 11.6 will hopefully upgrade to 12.1 eventually which updates differently and doesn't use DAT's.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/04/13 7:08:34 EDT AM
beatlefan
Former Member
Message 86 of 89

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit,

You have always given good advice on these community posts and I appreciate all your efforts in dealing with these issues and not even being paid for it.  I think it's a lot more than I would do.  I have been a McAfee user for 8 years now but I am very new to these forums and by no means any sort of computer expert so your advice is very useful.

I do have a question for you - I was having the same issue as others were having with a Dell PC and McAfee SC version 11.6.477 not receiving DAT updates.  So on April 19, I dis a uninstall/reinstall from my online account on both my machines (one operating on XP, the other on Win 7)  and both machines are noe on Version 12.1 Build 12.1.323.  That process actually went very well, much better than I would have expexted and took less time than I would have expected so there was no problem there.

However, two things that I noticed.  The first is that Even though I installed 12.1 on Friday evening (April 19), I did not receive an engine update until Sunday evening (April 21) even though both machines were set to recieve automatic updates and both machines were on for most of the day and evening on Saturday, April 20 without receiving an update.  I also manually checked for updates and it came back with "Your Programs are Up To Date".  When I downloaded Version 12.1, my Anti-Virus Version was 16.1, Build 16.1.172 and Engine Version 1500.0.  After the automatic update on Sunday, my current Engine is 1502.0 on both machines (everything else is the same).  It would appear to me that Engine version 1501.0 was skipped for some reason.  Is that normal and how often are updates sent out in 12.1?  When I had 11.6, the DAT files would update every day at about 6:00 PM US East Coast time.  I don't know what sort of update schedule 12.1 is on.  Do you know?

The second thing that I noticed occurred after I did a full scan on both machines which I did after installing 12.1.  Both scans came up clean with no issues.  However, when I would try to restart after doing the scans, neither machine would shut down.  They both remained on the screen showing "Shutting Down" for about 3 - 5 minutes before I finally had to force it to shut down by holding doen the power button until it shut down.  It only happened after the scan after subsequent shutdowns or restarts on both machines proceeded normally after that.  Any thoughts on this issue as well?

Thank you very much.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 87 of 89

Jump to solution

beatlefan wrote:

Ex_Brit,

You have always given good advice on these community posts and I appreciate all your efforts in dealing with these issues and not even being paid for it.  I think it's a lot more than I would do.  I have been a McAfee user for 8 years now but I am very new to these forums and by no means any sort of computer expert so your advice is very useful.

I do have a question for you - I was having the same issue as others were having with a Dell PC and McAfee SC version 11.6.477 not receiving DAT updates.  So on April 19, I dis a uninstall/reinstall from my online account on both my machines (one operating on XP, the other on Win 7)  and both machines are noe on Version 12.1 Build 12.1.323.  That process actually went very well, much better than I would have expexted and took less time than I would have expected so there was no problem there.

However, two things that I noticed.  The first is that Even though I installed 12.1 on Friday evening (April 19), I did not receive an engine update until Sunday evening (April 21) even though both machines were set to recieve automatic updates and both machines were on for most of the day and evening on Saturday, April 20 without receiving an update.  I also manually checked for updates and it came back with "Your Programs are Up To Date".  When I downloaded Version 12.1, my Anti-Virus Version was 16.1, Build 16.1.172 and Engine Version 1500.0.  After the automatic update on Sunday, my current Engine is 1502.0 on both machines (everything else is the same).  It would appear to me that Engine version 1501.0 was skipped for some reason.  Is that normal and how often are updates sent out in 12.1?  When I had 11.6, the DAT files would update every day at about 6:00 PM US East Coast time.  I don't know what sort of update schedule 12.1 is on.  Do you know?

The second thing that I noticed occurred after I did a full scan on both machines which I did after installing 12.1.  Both scans came up clean with no issues.  However, when I would try to restart after doing the scans, neither machine would shut down.  They both remained on the screen showing "Shutting Down" for about 3 - 5 minutes before I finally had to force it to shut down by holding doen the power button until it shut down.  It only happened after the scan after subsequent shutdowns or restarts on both machines proceeded normally after that.  Any thoughts on this issue as well?

Thank you very much.

From what I've read here and elsewhere there may have been some server problems over the weekend hence the seeming irregularities in frequency of updating.   They never tell us when this sort of thing happens unfortunately.   I have the same version as you now have and usually the updates pass unnoticed, unless a restart is required.   Give it a while to settle in before contacting Tech Support if need be.

As to the other problem of shut downs hanging, I've experienced that too occasionally and have had to forcibly power off.   Probably simply some hook not letting go in a timely fashion, it usually disappears, but again, if you experience it frequently I would contact Tech Support as they are best equipped to troubleshoot these things.

Good luck.

astor
Contributor II
Message 88 of 89

Jump to solution

One other thing, apart from the nicer looking interface, after I've manually re-installed and ended up with a later release of McAfee, updates are completed much quicker.  That might mean something changed at the server end and this may be the reason some users are experiencing problems with updates to the older version.  Also, if the problem is no longer being experienced with the older version, something may have changed again at the server end to fix it.  I wish they keep us more informed on what is happening if that's the case, instead of treating customers like mushrooms (ie, keeping us in the dark).

Message was edited by: astor on 25/04/13 5:02:12 PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 89 of 89

Jump to solution

Hi astor,

Unfortunately we don't know much more either.   The new interface 12.x+ updates in a different manner than before, no more DAT's, which probably makes it more streamlined, only a guess as I have no idea how it all works.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community