Did you mean: 
POCL
Contributor
Message 71 of 89

Re: Where have all the updates gone?

Jump to solution

Dear Ex_Brit,

I cannot get anyone to chat to.

I access techical support and click chat, but I am not allowed to go straight to chat because I have to run the MVT (must have run it at least 8 times now). Once run it gives me the option, and then I go into chat and email, fill in my details, press submit - and nothing happens. The page disappears for a second or two, and comes just as before with all my details correctly filled out. No other information is forthcoming.

This happens regardless of whether I go to chat and email or live chat or whatever combination. I submit my details and nothing happens.

As you can imagine this is rather frutstating as the only way I can communicate with techinical support does not work. Regardless of whether I want to chat via email or have telephone support a location for the chat has to be selected and your telephone number submitted. I think this is my problem because I am not selecting Germany but submitting a German telephone number. Either that or there is something wrong with the McAfee website (or maybe I've picked up a virus).

astor
Contributor II
Message 72 of 89

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

There are issues with all kinds of software, Norton Forums are a good example.   Problems are all you usually will see here or there.   It's a rarity for someone to post simply a compliment or positive remark off the bat. 

McAfee tells us they have over 45 million retail customers, so there must be a whole bunch with no problems, myself included.

It's a shame it has to happen to some but we do try to help.

Good luck 😉

What a silly comment.  You are implying that all other software has issues except McAfee?  Blame Dell, blame the users's PC but never blame McAfee?  Come on!  Admit you are wrong on this one.  My PC is a Dell and came with McAfee pre-installed.  When I encountered the problem I called the help desk and they promptly stated to uninstalled it and re-install it.  The problem was fixed and in the process I ended up with an updated version with a different looking front end.  So how long was 12.1 available?  Why wasn't it automatically installed earlier?  Blame Dell on that one too?  Might as well blame the man in the Moon.

Message was edited by: astor on 21/04/13 1:53:34 PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 73 of 89

Jump to solution

astor, if you want further help  from anyone I would stop distorting what  people are saying.  I never said Norton has problems and McAfee doesn't.   I was saying McAfee isn't alone, Norton has problems too as do all the A/V companies.

POCL what browser were you using at the time?   Have you tried IE at default settings?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/04/13 3:27:21 EDT PM
astor
Contributor II
Message 74 of 89

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

astor, if you want further help  from anyone I would stop distorting what  people are saying.  I never said Norton has problems and McAfee doesn't.   I was saying McAfee isn't alone, Norton has problems too as do all the A/V companies.

Sorry I misunderstood you.  That was the impression, apparently the wrong one, that I got reading your post.  At least you now admit McAfee may be at fault on this one.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 75 of 89

Jump to solution

I never said they weren't.

astor
Contributor II
Message 76 of 89

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

I never said they weren't.

In any case, I'm still waiting for some answers on the more pertinent points I outlined. How long was 12.1 available?  Why wasn't it automatically installed earlier during my routine updates, the last being about a week ago prior to installing manually the new one?  If major upgrades are not part of the normal update process then there should be a notification sent to alert users that a new major release is available for manual download and install.  All this is standard and best practice with all other software I've ever dealt with, including shareware and free ones.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 77 of 89

Jump to solution

I can't recall an exact date and like all things they release it was staged over a long period of time, throttled so that only a percentage of people in the target areas would get it at first and then the areas slowly expanded and the throttling eased.  They do it that way just in case unforeseen problems arise so they can then halt the release.  I know we were still beta testing it last October.

They are tested thoroughly but one never knows what can happen out in the field.

It wont be too long before 12.8 or above will be released anyway, it's an ongoing process.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 78 of 89

Jump to solution

By the way beta testing is open for new volunteers and always has been:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1236

ukchrisr
Former Member
Message 79 of 89

Jump to solution

I do not know what happened, but I started my PC again late today (it's now 10.25PM in the UK) and guess what ?

My McAfee SC downloaded a large update when I checked manually and installed it.

I am now on DAT 7049 and looking at windows explorer, there seem to have been a few other changes too.

Hopefully normal service has resumed and I will not now need to contact Tech and uninstall reinstall SC.

Participation in this forum has been interesting and hopefully everybody else here will be "corrected" soon.

I shall keep checking just to make sure.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 80 of 89

Jump to solution

ukchrisr wrote:

I do not know what happened, but I started my PC again late today (it's now 10.25PM in the UK) and guess what ?

My McAfee SC downloaded a large update when I checked manually and installed it.

I am now on DAT 7049 and looking at windows explorer, there seem to have been a few other changes too.

Hopefully normal service has resumed and I will not now need to contact Tech and uninstall reinstall SC.

Participation in this forum has been interesting and hopefully everybody else here will be "corrected" soon.

I shall keep checking just to make sure.

Glad you are OK now.  All the best.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community