cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sicnarf
Contributor III
Message 1 of 6

What are procedures for RE-installation on NEW harddrive?

Having to downgrade Win7 64 bit to Win7 32 bit. That wipes everything out and I have to start reinstall of all my programs.

At present I show to have installed on 3 machines. One of them is the one I'm crashing.

I found nothing on the site to tell me about "Re-install".

Any advice will be appreciated.

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: What are procedures for RE-installation on NEW harddrive?

Just simply install it again.  If there is a problem registering it simply call Customer Service or use the online chat, see their link under "Useful Links" at the top of the page.  Explain the situation and I'm sure they will sort it out.

Sicnarf
Contributor III
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for your reply.

Is your answer an "opinion" as to how it "might" work?

Or, is that how McAfee actually does it?

I previously had Trend, their procedure allowed me to go to "My Account" and delete whichever machine

I wanted to, then I had license space to add another machine when I re-installed.

I thought McAfee might have an expedient, professional procedure like that?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

What sales do is not in my domain I'm afraid.   We only help with technical stuff here.   I was just suggesting to go ahead and, if there are problems, speak with them.

Sicnarf
Contributor III
Message 5 of 6

Well I guess I can say that "GBS" was wrong. There are THREE great nations divided by a common language.

I see "re-installation" as a VERY technical problem.

Howevr you may just be  correct.

I went to my account here and they show only one subscription, however, I show protection on all three machines.

So maybe the re-install will just slip right in?

I really wanted to bypass any phone contact. These tech companies are not too swift on answering calls with

well trained personell.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

New hard drive = new installation and the account merely counts down how many are used.   As far as I know licenses go by the number of machines so the only thing that may occur would be it querying the activation, that's where sales come in because they can allow the extra registration.

You are worrying needlessly as they will most definitely allow it when told why.

This often occurs with software licenses, most notably Windows - sometimes it is necessary to call Microsoft to activate an installation.  I've done that on occasion.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/03/10 8:39:57 EST PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community