cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
citrus
Contributor III
Message 11 of 23

Re: Was the Recent Update to Security Center 11.0 build 11.0.678 Flawed?

Hopeless:

Just ran MVT again this morning and still get the same error message you do. Like Markiebeau, I also had a problem a few months ago with 20 or more com errors. The moderator of the discussion at the time managed to get the problem passed to the technical side of the house after several days and an MVT update resolved the problem till now.

Of course, the problem we have now might be a "REAL" com file problem which will require a software updat and not just an MVT fix. But the fact that several of us are seeing the same symptom after the same software upgrade on the same operating system should be evidence of a reproducible problem that is not a unique glitch on someone's pc.

The kneejerk reaction on the part of every software company seems to be to do a lot of diagnostics on a pc with the problem. This is sensible when the problem is not reproducible, but in a case like ours I think their time would be best spent to inspect the install script for the software upgrade and see what it does with the specific com component (c:\program files\mcafee\msc\mcsubmgr\11,0,678,0\mcsubmgr.dll in an XP SP3 environment.

Also, can anyone tell me what a 'mer log' is? The log which comes out of MVT simply indicates that the above component is missing.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 12 of 23

Hi hopless1 & ms421,

We would like to investigate on this new error that you have reported, please check your mailbox , we have sent you an email for setting up a technical call back to collect some McAfee logs. Thanks for your patience and support with regards to this issue.

verno
Former Member
Message 13 of 23

Over the last few days I've had more fun with Mcafee than I like. Last couple of weeks with the mchost crash problem and dropped internet until I disabled netguard. Computer started locking up after the automatic update requested a computer restart a few days ago. That went on a couple days until I  did a manual update with Mcafee. I have the AT&T mcafee internet suite that comes with the DSL service on an HP media center XP with SP3 with 1G ram and is current on updates. The lock ups had no error messages in event center and required using the power button to shut down and restart. sometimes it would lock up right away and sometimes hours later. I was not even sure this problem was due to the mcafee update. Cleaned CPU fan.  I turned "netguard" feature in Mcafee firewall back on and performed a manual update of mcafee which performed an update that took a couple of minutes. I also performed the mcafee cleanup and registry repair. Lockup problem went away but not sure what fixed the lock ups.  I have noticed that while running task manager during bootup mcshield.exe waits longer ~5 minutes before lauching it's heavy cpu usage where is used to start earlier. Seems to get done quicker now also.

I then performed the MVT (virtual technician) and it found this com error that is stated in the post that it was unable to fix. Never had that before. Don't  see any problems yet after two days on the computer itself.

The "fun" continues. If I had not found this forum I would be clueless as to what is going on as mcafee has no notification of what the updates are for. I'm sure mcafee is not the only antivirus company having these problems. Between the ever increasing security threats and incompatibility of applications the problems are becoming unmanagable. Intel must be thrilled as they own mcafee!

hopeless1
Former Member
Message 14 of 23

I see ExBrit has answered this problem for people in a few other threads as being a known problem with MVT so I won't pursue it further

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 6/9/12 6:47:25 AM GMT-05:00
Peacekeeper
Message 15 of 23

But can you talk to Dinz or is this now sorted out?

verno was yours the mcsvhost or the mchost error?

verno
Former Member
Message 16 of 23

Peacekeeper,

I had the mcsvhost problem. I was incorrect in my previous post. Fortunately for me my computer is running great now after the updates and running the mcafee cleanup and regisry cleanup program. I have not run MVT since a couple days ago when it found the comm error that it could not fix. I have tested nearly everything on my PC (HP media center XP) and it is running better than it has in a long while. Bootups are noticably quicker. You guys have your hands full.

redwood
Contributor
Message 17 of 23

hopeless describes it.   I just got off the phone with McAfee support who, of course, never heard of the 2 items MVT could not fix:   corrupt DAT issue and incorrect HKEY for onaccess scanner.  I am afraid that, despite the service box saying everything is fine, I am unprotected and cannot update.  I, thru some miracle, was able to sneak in TDSSKiller to disable zeroaccess trojan (of course, Mac never heard of it but it's been around at least a year) that prevented access to all antivirus programs and now tried to get MTV to clean up any leftovers.  All the tech support people are - who say they know nothing -  are salesmen who want you to pay $89 to fix the program you are already paying for that failed.  I hate them.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful.   and really beware of that vile zeroaccess - fake security trojan.  If only there was a way to really know if these things are gone....

Peacekeeper
Message 18 of 23

Redwood MVT fixes Mcafee not teh virus. Any possibility you contacting Dinz he needs someone who is having this MVT issue to contact him. Sometimes these early issues do not make it to  support. Dinz is high level support and can assist you.

redwood
Contributor
Message 19 of 23

Hi, can you tell me why MVT can find problems but not correct them?   The DAT problem is an old one - I think I had it last year and they just replaced the whole thing. Aren't they just refusing help to get you to pay?  I always need more than Mc - I have MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, TDSSKiller that seemed to remove the zeroaccess trojan that replaced Mc with a fake security alert.  But of course I am not sure.  I just ran Stinger (but without disabling system restore because I am afraid to wipe out any old restore points) and Stinger found nothing.

I am upset because the trojan should have been dealt with by Mc - it is not a new one and is on the list of known viruses according to Stinger.

Any advice? I am not tech smart and this is scary.

redwood
Contributor
Message 20 of 23

Here's what MVT says it cannot correct:

Expected COM Component File Path not Present

Component Name: PSFactoryBuffer {16D2A02D-7200-4AD7-97FA-BEEE9D3AF9FC} c:\program files\mcafee\msc\mcsubmgr\11,0,678,0\mcsubmgr.dll

Top Issues  1 Top Issue(s) 

Top Issue: Corrupt DAT issue

KB URL: 

Registry  1 Registry key(s) incorrect 

Expected Registry Value not Present

Expected : ini log txt trc

Existing : ini log txt trc wiki-publisher log1 evtx mui

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\SystemCore\VSCore\On Access Scanner\McShield\Configuration SmoothWritesExtensions

NOTE:  several scans including TDSSKiller say trojans were removed.  Any help?  Is this a problem? Am I getting updates?  Secure?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community