cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greens
Former Member
Message 21 of 65

Re: WFP Errors

I get pop ups when running a Malwarebytes scan with McAfee real time scanning turned on.  If I turn McAfee real time scanning off, I don't get pop ups.  My system is coming up clean on both scans so I'll just be sure to turn McAfee real time scanning off when running a Malwarebytes scan.  Everything is working fine and since this happened in the past I'll just use the work around when doing scans and quit trying to figure it out.  Thanks a bunch.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 65

I don't have to do that and I have MBAM here.   You should never have to do that, that's not how MBAM is designed.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/11/12 8:29:31 EST AM
Greens
Former Member
Message 23 of 65

Thank you for your patience and quick response.  All I know is that I went through this a year ago for months after a McAfee update and it went away after a McAfee update.  And I never had problems running a Malwarebytes scan with McAfee real time scanner running in the background except during that time and now.  It's the exact same problem, happens in the exact same way and has the exact files involved again.  I'm thinking that it's only affecting certain systems.  I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3, all up to date.  Maybe the reason a lot aren't complaining is because they've moved on to more recent Wndows.  All my scans are coming up clean so do you think it would be ok to do as I said - disable McAfee real time scanning when I run a Malwarebytes scan and quit worrying?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 65

If you have to I guess it's OK.  But you say it's only certain files that cause it?   Have you scanned those files with other software or forwarded them for anlysis anywhere?

GSteve
Former Member
Message 25 of 65

Just for info in case it might help, my friend's computer (that I talked about in my GSteve Nov 10, 2012 posts) is also running Windows XP MCE SP3, and Malwarebytes (free) is installed although the definitions had not been updated and it had not been used in 63 days.  The screen message saying "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions...." first appeared when my friend restarted the computer after installing McAfee's update on 12/9...

We resolved the issue by removing McAfee Total Protection and installing a different anti-malware program.

rabbit2
Contributor
Message 26 of 65

Peter, This problem manifests itself in a number of ways depending on which files have been affected. Take a look at last year's discussion (32 pages) to see the various symptoms. For instance, I don't use Malwarebytes (so that's ruled out as a cause) but my display driver is always affected. The replaced file is not compatible with my current graphics and so the display become hopeless. I reload the right graphics driver from CD but it gets replaced again at the next boot up. There is no doubt that the file is virus free etc because it came from the manufacturer. I have other files being replaced (as seen in event viewer) but because the replacements work ok there is apparently no issue in their respect. I suspect many people will be in this latter situation and so are oblivious to the issue.

Problems with WFP are a serious cause for concern because the WFP mechanism is about maintaining the integrity of the OS files. If McAfee is disturbing the WFP mechanism, which I believe it is, then we/they should be worried.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 65

Technical Support may have a fix for it although I can't promise that.   At least they need examples to work on a fix if one is needed as it's only being seen by certain people.    It's free to contact them by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

hud_engineer
Contributor
Message 28 of 65

Hi All,

This is all very familiar to me from last year also.  As a few others have in common, I'm running Win XP Media Edition SP3, and my problems recommenced this month.  N.B. I don't have Malwarebytes.

The problems have persisted since earlier this month, but I took action today.  Instead of trying McAfee Tech, I simply went for the Windows System Restore.  I wasn't able to select anything earlier than the 14th November (my WFP error logs started on the 9th November, you may recall), so I went for that, after doing a backup.  Once restored, McAfee was still at the new versions, but shutting down the PC resulted in McAfee apps not closing properly, and having to be forcibly terminated, each time that I tried it, until the Microsoft updates had all been reinstalled.  Since the Windows System Restore earlier today, I have not had any more WFP messages, whereas up until that point, they were quite common.

Not sure if anyone else can confirm this approach solves things for them, but it is far less stressful than the harrowing experience that I went through with McAfee Tech previously that ended up taking one of my machines back to its Out of the Box clean installation, and thereafter reloading all the apps and data that I could be bothered with.  For me the System Restore was a walk in the park in comparison, but it could do with being verified that it works as well for others.

*** Update27-11-2012 : it hasn't solved the problem.  The WFP messages are back. ***

Andy

Message was edited by: hud_engineer on 26/11/12 16:47:55 CST

Message was edited by: hud_engineer on 27/11/12 11:13:00 CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 29 of 65

I'm bringing this up at our next conference call with McAfee on Monday.  Sorry for the delay responding on this thread, I must have missed the message telling me you posted.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 30 of 65

I've been seeing WFP messages in the Event Logs on the XP machine since 14 November. Before that date there were very few of these; after that date lots of them.

The warnings are Event 64008 and are for a number of different Windows files -

"The protected system file c:\windows\system32\wups.dll could not be verified as valid because Windows File Protection is terminating. Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file at a later time."

I also have a few 64001 Events -

File replacement was attempted on the protected system file c:\windows\system32\odbcint.dll. This file was restored to the original version to maintain system stability. The file version of the bad file is 3.525.1132.0, the version of the system file is 3.525.1132.0.

And a number of Event 64004 messages which I can ignore because the all refer to the same 3 files - oembios.bin/.sig/.dat

The protected system file oembios.sig could not be restored to its original, valid version. The file version of the bad file is 0.0.0.1  The specific error code is 0x800b0100 [No signature was present in the subject.].

These all started appearing on November 14th and according to Security Center / About there was a major McAfee update on that day - the date is in the time-stamps for Firewall, Anti-Spam, Parental Controls and QuickClean (today's mega-update has put new dates on Security Center and VirusScan).

That coincidence points to the McAfee update of 14 November as being responsible.

Edit - winlogon.exe is in charge of Windows File Protection, specifically the threads "sfc_os.dll". Increased cpu activity in that program (which I sometimes see, and at least one other poster has reported) is associated in this case with problems with WFP. That's a giveaway symptom of an underlying problem. Why it's occurring I don't know.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 15/12/12 00:41:20 GMT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community