cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rabbit2
Contributor
Message 1 of 65

WFP Errors

My Event Viewer is showing a number of Windows File Protection (WFP) errors at shut-down when the recent dodgy build is running.  If WFP can't validate files it can pull in substitutes which may, or may not, be ok but often chaos ensues. In my case at least the display drivers and LAN drivers are taking a hit.

Ring any bells? It should do. Because, as I mentioned in post 6 this issue has been seen before. In fact it dragged on for 4 months before being fixed - and then supposedly by accident.  See "re: files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions".... There were various manifestations of the problem.

The problem was first seen in builds:

SC 11.0.555, VS 15.0.288, PF 12.0.335, SA 3.3.1.133 and QC&S 11.0.393.

Some 4 months later users reported that the problem had gone but when I did a manual update the versions down loaded were earlier!

SC 10.5.247, VS 14.5.130, PF 11.5.141, SA 3.4.0.143 and QC&S 10.5.111. And, not surprisingly, that build worked ok.

Two weeks later another build was delivered with versions more in sequence:

SC 11.0.623, VS 15.0.291,  PF 12.0.344, SA 3.4.0.143 and QC&S 11.0.393 and that also worked ok.

So the problem in this discussion looks like a build control issue or the same error repeated. Certainly rubbish testing; probably on a virtual machine - amateurs.

I can't go back to an earlier version with system restore because some of the McAfee services fail to run. So after years of loyalty I'm gone, which is particularly sad because I was about to start system dumps for the dial-up problem. Today I removed McAfee and loaded free Avast and Comodo firewall. Feeling better already. If I see that the problem is fixed I'll reload just to honour my commitment to the dumps. Pound to a penny (dollar to a cent) it's not fixed by Christmas.

64 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 65

Re: WFP Errors

I moved this to your own thread as it wasn't really to do with the subject of that original poster's thread as far as I could make out.   If it was then forgive me.

WFP errors are pretty common especially since Microsoft has taken steps to stop allowing 3rd party security software from fully interracting with Windows Security Center.   This is particularly noticeable in Vista, Windows 7 and 8.   If they concern secdurity protection & continue to bug you I suggest opening Action Center and telling it to stop monitoring security and firewall protection.    McAfee are aware of it and are working on it but apparently it's Microsoft's doing since they issued certain patches to these systems.

If you need further troubleshooting I suggest you contact Technical Support via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page, it's a free phone call or online chat.

Meanwhile make sure Windows is up to date including any parts of it you may not use.

Youy should soon be updating to 11.6.435 in any case, unless BT is sitting on the upgrades, which is quite possible.  Nothing McAfee can do about that unfortunately.   That may cure the situation.

rabbit2
Contributor
Message 3 of 65

Firstly, The discussion "Conflict with recent Total Protection update" relates to XP - I did mention my build is XP SP3 in my first message on page 1. Action Center is not a feature of XP and, of course, nothing can be tweaked in this respect.

And I do think my post is relevant to the thread where it was previously posted:

The original contributor, texmex101, describes a problem that is identical to mine - brought on by the suite of builds I identify in my post on page 1. Note that the SC build to which you refer as a possible cure (11.6.435, which is starting to be rolled out now) is part of the overall recent package that is causing the problem!!!!!!

I had an identical display problem last summer - brought on and eventually fixed by McAfee - and I trawled through the forum discussions to find the relevant topic. That was "Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions"... People then were suffering with WFP issues which sometimes manifested as display problems. Blarty-fargo's post on page 1, gives a good description of his problem then, which is identical to what is being seen again.

I believe the above two discussions are connected in that they both relate to similar problems brought on by McAfee's interoperability with WFP. Since my post (above) highlights this linkage and supports texmex101, who currently has the same symptoms,  I believe it should be replaced where it was.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 65

OK I'm sorry about that.  We tend to work at high speed here as there is so much to monitor.  Unfortunately I can't merge posts as the board doesn't permit that action otherwise I'd put it back.

Technical Support is the best route to take for this.

rabbit2
Contributor
Message 5 of 65

Ex_Brit, I know you are hugely busy. No problem.

To others, The first post of this discussion was originally post 11 of discussion "Conflict with recent "Total Protection" update". That discussion relates to XP users who have recently received McAfee Security Center build 11.6.435 and have problems with drivers immediately after boot up. Often it is the display driver that is cited because it is obvious. Also there may be Windows File Protection errors in the event log. If you have these symptoms it is best to go to the other discussion.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 65

Thanks, this was the thread - https://community.mcafee.com/thread/49577

georgieb
Former Member
Message 7 of 65

This is “Insane (obscene?). I can’t believe one year later & within weeks of my Subscription “expiring”, I find myself at the exact same place again. Was not sure where to post this but as the Windows File Protection errors are popping up (again), figured this was as good a place as any. Did see the “Loss Network Connectivity” posts from back in August as well as McAfee “Solution” (use term loosely).

I Have Uninstalled, ran MCPR, Re-installed. ran-MVT. (Without improvement).

Essentially, Security Centre updated from 11.0 to 11.6 (& Firewall from 12.0 to 12.6) & once again dead in the water, so to speak. The details below are from my report “last year”, from a problem that was apparently, eventually, resolved “accidentally?” & has managed to “mysteriously” resurface (cause it was never solved) ?

I give up. If I charged McAfee my hourly rate for the time I’ve spent resolving the problems they’ve introduced on this Laptop, I’d have a lifetime subscription.

This was not meant to be a rant but I truly needed to express my frustration. McAfee has kept this hardware fairly clean but it’s the other damage that I have no more time for (I truly can’t spend any more time on this nonsense). I no longer have faith in the Tool & every update leaves me nervous. After a decade, I’m gone, with regret.

Thanks to all you patient & helpful moderators. GB

LOSS OF NETWORK CONNECTIVITY POST SECURITY CENTRE UPDATE (16-Jun-2011)

“Have a recurring problem since  my Security Centre updated to Version 11 last week.; not sure if this should be a new post or not, as I saw passing references to similar problem under the “Real Time Scanning Keeps Turning Off” post. (although no prob with my Real Time Scanning). Basically, I have to reinstall my network adapter driver every day after start-up to restore connectivity & have the following recurring events:

• File replacement was attempted on the protected system file b57xp32.sys. This file was restored to the original version to maintain system stability. The file version of the bad file is 8.48.0.0, the version of the system file is 2.16.0.0.
  • Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller: This driver does not support this device.  Upgrade to the latest driver.

My Current Sys Specs are:

Dell Latitude D620 Laptop

Windows XP Pro-SP3

Mcafee Security Centre: 11.0.555

Mcafee Virus Scan: 15.0.288

Mcafee Firewall: 12.0.335

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 65

Sorry to see you go, good luck.

georgieb
Former Member
Message 9 of 65

TXS & FYI, the removal of McAfee “did” eliminate the WFP errors thereby eliminating my “daily” loss of network connectivity (introduced with Security Centre 11.6 two weeks ago).

Truly, I would have preferred a “solution” to the McAfee problem rather than having to “remove” McAfee as the “solution” but I thought this one was resolved one year ago (after months & months & months of…..). I’m surprised there aren’t more reports from other XP Users.GB

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 65

Technical Support need cases to work on to troubleshoot the issue.  It's free to phone or use online chat to contact them and they are linked via Useful Links at the top of this page.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community